ethical/legal situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mivey

Feel free to accuse someone of criminal activity based on supposition and guesswork and see where that gets you.
I doubt any one of us would take such a dramatic approach. The difference in being seen as accusing one of a crime and being seen as trying to be helpful has a lot to do with the way information is presented. Most of us have all been around the block enough to know how to deal with people.

Also, I do not doubt for a minute that there are some who would jump to conclusions. I suspect they are few in number as they probably have been weeded out or changed by previous blunders.

mivey

"Does a man sometimes have to risk a loss in order to do what's right? Of course- that's what makes him a man. "
That is a very bold statement, only problem is the loss you are talking about just might be the lives of your family. Turn in drug dealers and you will learn fast. Why do you think so many drug dealers stay in business ? You are right and just might be DEAD right.
Every situation requires judgment on your part and we can only speculate on what would happen.

We see all kinds of stuff when we go into a business or residence that we normally would not see. If I go into a drug dealer's house and see paraphernalia while working, I doubt there will be any action on my part. If I go into a drug dealer's house and see a child being abused, I have no doubt there will be action on my part, risk or not.

Everything is just not so black and white. As I said at the start: To thine own self be true.

Jim W in Tampa

I once lived in Naples FL and very near Everglades city the home of major pot smugling back in early 80's. Read up on it and you will learn fast not to even think of reporting them. Everyone including the cops were involved. So turning them into the cops would sure been big mistake. Took them 2 under cover cops a year and a half to make the bust. They both were killed within 6 months. So think twice before turning in people. Unlikely they would kill you over power theft but is a chance. I was 1 of a very few that would go into that town to do work. Minded my own business and always got paid in cash. At that time I owned 2 TV repair shops and mostly did antenna work down there. Sadly if you google it you will find the same last names for other busts but now it is there kids that learned the square grouper business from parents.

pfalcon

... Druggies, etc? If you're going to worry abour some piss-ant property manager, it's only a matter of time before you are governed / enslaved by thugs. ...

There is a right way and a wrong way for every situation. I'm not condoning being a pain. We can't possibly paint every scenario here. Everyone should follow the standard they carry within themselves. Each situation will require wisdom and I would hope we all have a good dose of it.

I would hope none of us would act foolishly, even with the best of intentions.

Go mivey. Reno, get a grip please. ASK me before you cost me a tenant. Dollars to donuts either I'm paying the power or I just acquired the property. For the latter, straightening out the box is probably why I paid you to work. Just ASK first.

If you have a clue about rental property and electricity at all then two minutes of conversation with the rental manager will tell you the real story. MOST landlords are honest or clueless. The dishonest ones tend to find dishonest tradesmen or especially pseudo-tradesmen to do their work. YOU probably didn't get hired by one. The clueless ones will usually pay to straighten it out when you hint they could be liable for back power bills.

Most tenants are clueless about both rental property and electricity. And many get frightened easily when it comes to their rental expenses. ASK me before you cost me a tenant. I'm probably the one paying the bill until it gets corrected. And I'm the one paying you to fix it. And I'm the one that will report your actions to your company and union hall if you cost me a tenant.

BTW, I really don't like that piss-ant thing.

renosteinke

I will agree that there are different situations that require different approaches. That should be a no-brainer.

This silliness of fearing the bad guy because he won't like you is simply absurd. I thought the standard was "I will not lie, cheat, or steal - or tolerate anyone who does." Any other standard seems, by definition, to be dishonorable.

If the authorities are 'in on it,' then let the sin be on their soul.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I thought the standard was "I will not lie, cheat, or steal - or tolerate anyone who does." Any other standard seems, by definition, to be dishonorable.

You are making an assumption that you are in a position to accurately judge that someone else is lying, cheating, or stealing. In the OP, the poster was not in a position to make that judgment, and nothing has been added to change that.

In any case, there are plenty of liars, cheaters, and stealers out there. How many of them have you actually ratted out over the years? You could spend your whole life tilting at that windmill and never make even a small dent in the supply of them.

iwire

Staff member
In any case, there are plenty of liars, cheaters, and stealers out there. How many of them have you actually ratted out over the years? You could spend you whole life tilting at that windmill and never make even a small dent in the supply of them.

If only we could use them for fuel ..... :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.