exhaust fans in bathrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering if there is/are any nec requirements for exhaust fans in residential bathrooms. I can't find any. Maybe it is a building code requirement?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The NEC won't tell you to install one, and I can't say whether the building codes will tell you to install one. All the NEC has to say on the subject is related to whether you can put it on the same circuit as the receptacle outlet.

Welcome to the forum.

Jim Shorts

2006 IRC section 303.3 requires you to have a vent fan if you do not have a window in the room that is at least 3 square feet of which half of the area must be openable.

ceb58

And if you dig into code it must be vented by a HVAC contractor. I failed an inspection over there not being a vent fan in a half bath ( toilet and sink only):-?. I then ask the inspector to show it to me in code. Which he then referred to building code. I told him he must fail the building part and not the elect. because the contractor said it was not needed and didn't want to pay for it. He then rethought the situation and agreed that he could not fail the elect. because of it. The contractor lost that fight and it was more $$for me:grin:

Besoeker

2006 IRC section 303.3 requires you to have a vent fan if you do not have a window in the room that is at least 3 square feet of which half of the area must be openable.
Three square feet could be one foot by three or about 21 inches by 21 inches.
I'm having trouble imigining how that could be described as a room - even by our diminutive UK room sizes.
;)

exhaust fans

exhaust fans

Thanks for the responses people. That was my first post ever. I will definately use this forum in the future. I was able to find out that the operable window clause was wiped out of the most recent building code book and that in the US every bathroom is required to have an exhaust fan.

macmikeman

Thanks for the responses people. That was my first post ever. I will definately use this forum in the future. I was able to find out that the operable window clause was wiped out of the most recent building code book and that in the US every bathroom is required to have an exhaust fan.

Ummmm, no, the requirement in the USA is for a fan when there is no acceptable sized window or other allowed opening to the exterior. Some vented skylights meet the requirement as well as a window. But most bathrooms here will not require a vented fan as they have windows to the exterior.

480sparky

Thanks for the responses people. That was my first post ever. ...........

Well, then: Welcome to the forum!
emoticons_spot_party.gif

electricmanscott

In MA mechanical ventilation vented to the outside is required in any bathroom.

I don't get the whole "if it has a window" no fan is required. That is just ass backwards in the days of strict energy conservation requirements.

newinspector1

Exhaust fans

Exhaust fans

NC Building Code states that an exhaust fan is only needed if the window is not there

Status
Not open for further replies.