FA relay wire to the VFD for shutdown? Dry contacts or FA wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holeinone

Hi guys! First off I love this site and have found it so helpful! My question is this, I am currently on a job that is adhering to NFPA 2010 in SD, CA and the question has come up whether or not we can run the dry contacts (after the FA relay) through the BMS conduit into the VFD for shut down? Is this code compliant and more specifically is there a code section that discusses anything like this? In my opinion they are viewed as dry contacts and not FA wires, so mixing with BMS shouldn't be an issue right? Thanks in advance!

ron

Although this is from the Annex, it explains a lot.

NFPA 72-2010
A.21.2.4 Control devices (fire alarm relays) can be located at a motor control center that is located floors away from the device to be activated, such as air-handling units and exhaust fans located on the roof. The requirement for monitoring for integrity only applies to the installation wiring between the fire alarm control unit and the auxiliary fire alarm relay. It does not apply to the wiring between the auxiliary fire alarm relay and the emergency control device (e.g., motor stop/start control relay), or between the emergency control device and the equipment to be controlled (e.g., air-handling units and exhaust fans). For example, although the auxiliary fire alarm relay is required to be located within 36 in. (915 mm) of the emergency control device, there is no limit specified for the distance between the emergency control device and the equipment to be controlled.

Holeinone

Thanks Ron!

Thanks Ron!

That's exactly what I needed! Thanks Ron!

Although this is from the Annex, it explains a lot.

NFPA 72-2010
A.21.2.4 Control devices (fire alarm relays) can be located at a motor control center that is located floors away from the device to be activated, such as air-handling units and exhaust fans located on the roof. The requirement for monitoring for integrity only applies to the installation wiring between the fire alarm control unit and the auxiliary fire alarm relay. It does not apply to the wiring between the auxiliary fire alarm relay and the emergency control device (e.g., motor stop/start control relay), or between the emergency control device and the equipment to be controlled (e.g., air-handling units and exhaust fans). For example, although the auxiliary fire alarm relay is required to be located within 36 in. (915 mm) of the emergency control device, there is no limit specified for the distance between the emergency control device and the equipment to be controlled.

Status
Not open for further replies.