failed by 1 point

Status
Not open for further replies.

BTEX

i made a 74 on my E2 COMMERCIAL INSPECTORS EXAM,but i will pass this time...1 question was this...A conductor in a raceway must be:
INSULATED
SOLID
STRANDED
BARE

i chose insulated, WRONG, i assume it is stranded ???? i looked at 250.62 and it has all listed,please help me on this 1,it does not say if its a grounding electrode,equip grd ,or Iassume raceway must be a conduit, Ihave seen thwem all in raceways,cable tray,etc....
Let me know your thoughts please..thanks

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
i made a 74 on my E2 COMMERCIAL INSPECTORS EXAM,but i will pass this time...1 question was this...A conductor in a raceway must be:
INSULATED
SOLID
STRANDED
BARE

i chose insulated, WRONG, i assume it is stranded ???? i looked at 250.62 and it has all listed,please help me on this 1,it does not say if its a grounding electrode,equip grd ,or Iassume raceway must be a conduit, I have seen thwem all in raceways,cable tray,etc....
Let me know your thoughts please..thanks

I hate these yype of questions. You need to choose the best answer.
Stranded is not the best as it is only one type of conductor.
bare - the same as GEC is only one type of conductor
solid - same
However most conductors are and need to be insulated in a conduit. in this case more makes it the correct one.

mgookin

Tests today are written by professional "test writers". Same goes for mechanization of education as everything goes to computer for the benefit of the academic institution and to the detriment of the students and the companies who will employ them. I see tests written by Ph.D.'s and they are absolute trash. Horrible spelling, grammar and punctuation where you can't even figure out what's being asked and the drawings are done in MS Word. Ask any CAD operator to do a drawing in MS Word and he'll tell you it can't be done. There are plenty of companies who are taking text books and writing programs for mechanization of education and convincing every school that their Comp 101 course must be different than the one in the next city north of them so they can steal more money. They stand before boards of governors, school district boards, etc. and lie, lie, lie all day long for their financial gain.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
IF they had given a wire size I'd say "stranded" based on 310.3 ('08 Code)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IMO the question is flawed because there is no such thing as a "more correct" answer when they're all permitted in a raceway. The question says "must be", if you insert each answer (A _______ conductor installed in a raceway must be) they all fail equally.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
IMO the question is flawed because there is no such thing as a "more correct" answer when they're all permitted in a raceway. The question says "must be", if you insert each answer (A _______ conductor installed in a raceway must be) they all fail equally.

But that is how tests are written. The most correct or the best answer is the correct one.
That is how it is done today. I hate it.
Like it or not you aint gonna change it anytime soon.

iwire

Staff member
But that is how tests are written. The most correct or the best answer is the correct one.

Here in MA and RI you can contest the results and I know many people who were successful in doing so.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Here in MA and RI you can contest the results and I know many people who were successful in doing so.

Yea you are right I think most states have provisions to contest the test. However in most if not all instances you are not going to change the "most right " , "the more right" , "the best answer" test questions.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
The best outcome would be if OP successfully contested it and that resulted in a passing score. Certainly worth a try.

Personally if I had only passed by 1 point I would not be to happy with that. I would be concerned that I do not know as much as I should. I would be quite depressed about that. It would surely bother me.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Applying your methodology what's the correct answer and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.