Failed inspection "communications not grounded"

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
Hello experts, most of my experience is new construction or tenant infill
We did a service change at a office building that has several businesses, it took something like 2 years for the six meter pack to arrive, its a standard 120/240 service the service entrance is 500 kcmil x 2 sets. water system is PVC we installed two new ground rods. All went well except now
the inspector is saying we now need to ground the communications 'to code' what is he talking about? He says 'its in the code'. There are like 6 businesses with various systems looks to be old phone, cable internet and even a 'dish network' (satellite dish). The old telco stuff is way on the other side of the building and has what looks to be its own ground rod. What are the requirements for this? Do I run a #8 solid or a 6 or what?
I have never been called on this before, but this is a service replacement. On a new build the utility just comes out and does their thing, do I call each utility?. Are EC's responsible for grounding communication utility stuff on a service change?

The inspector might be referring to an "intersystem bonding termination", see 250.94 (in 2017). I'd say that connecting all the other devices/services isn't part of an electric service change, and should be (but likely won't) done by the tenants & their providers.

And IMHO if an inspector won't give a good code reference, they need to be reported.

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
We did sleeve the #6 ground wire in PVC so it would not get stolen. There is no access to it.
I did ask for a code reference, I am sure I'll get a email but they are slow, the inspector said the communications utilities bond tie on to accessible grounded parts and since we removed those parts we are required to re-bond those utilities. I ask about the gas meter and he said no just 'communications' .
Just wanting to get some pointers on the code.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
We did sleeve the #6 ground wire in PVC so it would not get stolen. There is no access to it.
I did ask for a code reference, I am sure I'll get a email but they are slow, the inspector said the communications utilities bond tie on to accessible grounded parts and since we removed those parts we are required to re-bond those utilities. I ask about the gas meter and he said no just 'communications' .
Just wanting to get some pointers on the code.
You will probably have to cut out a section of the PVC that houses the GEC. Then you need to put in an inner system bonding bridge. That's as far as we are required to go. Then the communication folks will just split bolt their ground to either the GEC or clamp it to the meter base!:unsure:

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks all, I see 250.94 and I texted a buddy whom is a retired telephone installer saying since the telco has a ground rod I might need to tie that ground rod into my new ground rods with a #6 solid or delete their ground rod and run a #6 to the telco 'closet'.

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
I'd rather not have any exposed copper as its hi traffic area lots of vandalism etc.
I can run some PVC to the telco spot and pull in #6, I did verify the tenants still have land line service or internet.
What about the telco ground rod ?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I'd rather not have any exposed copper as its hi traffic area lots of vandalism etc.
I can run some PVC to the telco spot and pull in #6, I did verify the tenants still have land line service or internet.
What about the telco ground rod ?
I don't see how any of the telco, or any other providers, ground is your responsibility. That's other than providing the bonding bridge. I will say that their ground rod should connect with the system's ground.

fishin' electrician

Of course you have to reconnect whatever bond there was, but in existing buildings things have already been connected for as long as the building has been up, that's why 250.94 has this:

Exception: In existing buildings or structures where any of the intersys-
tem bonding and grounding electrode conductors required by
770.100( B )( 2 ), 800.100( B )( 2 ), 810.21( F )( 2 ), 820.100, and
830.100 exist, installation of the intersystem bonding termination is
not required . An accessible means external to enclosures for connecting
intersystem bonding and grounding electrode conductors shall be
permitted at the service equipment and at the disconnecting means for
any additional buildings or structures by at least one of the following
means:
( 1 ) Exposed nonflexible metallic raceways
( 2 ) An exposed grounding electmde conductor
( 3 ) Approved means for the external connection of a copper or other
corrosion-resistant bonding or grounding electrode conductor to
the grounded raceway or equipment.

kwired

Electron manager
Has anyone ever seen a telco, cable, satellite installer land a conductor on an intersystem bonding device without being prompted to do so?

I've had many times with brand new construction where they did their install after I was all done and if I happen to come back to the site for some reason they will put one those adjustable meter/panel clamps on an enclosure even though the IBT is directly below the enclosure with nothing landed on it except the main conductor I landed on it.

Satellite dish guys are good at putting those things on the AC disconnect enclosure, in fact the clamp they like to use on those tends to interfere with opening the cover.
This is the one Tom mentions.

View attachment 2572252
Note: those only work with a maximum of 4 AWG for the conductor that runs through it, and if you were using an insulated conductor for whatever reason it won't fit without stripping off insulation.