Failed Inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

frank_n

I missed the inspection this morning (he was early) and I found a big red sticker. This is a new construction home.

1. I need a 20 amp circuit for the dining room. I never heard of this reqirement. What code is he referring to?
2. Improper connectors for Grounding Electrode Conductors at panel. What connectors do you use?

Can anyone offer some advice. I want to sound informed when I talk to the inspector.

Thanks,
Frank

celtic

frank_n said:
1. I need a 20 amp circuit for the dining room. I never heard of this reqirement. What code is he referring to?
210.52 ...specifically 210.52(B)

The circuit in the DR must be a 20A line w/o any other outlets on it ...with the exception of the SABCs.
You can have a seperate 20A line for the DR alone, or put the DR on with the countertop circuits.

Here is a long thread addressing this article:
Why SABC in Dining Rooms?

frank_n said:
2. Improper connectors for Grounding Electrode Conductors at panel. What connectors do you use?
More importantly, what did YOU use.

jwelectric

frank_n said:
I missed the inspection this morning (he was early) and I found a big red sticker. This is a new construction home.
frank_n said:
210.11(C) (C) Dwelling Units.
(1) Small-Appliance Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, two or more 20-ampere small-appliance branch circuits shall be provided for all receptacle outlets specified by 210.52(B).

210.52(B) Small Appliances.
(1) Receptacle Outlets Served. In the kitchen, pantry, breakfast room, dining room,

frank_n said:
I2. Improper connectors for Grounding Electrode Conductors at panel. What connectors do you use?
How did you terminate it in the panel?

250.8 Connection of Grounding and Bonding Equipment.
Grounding conductors and bonding jumpers shall be connected by exothermic welding, listed pressure connectors, listed clamps, or other listed means. Connection devices or fittings that depend solely on solder shall not be used. Sheet metal screws shall not be used to connect grounding conductors or connection devices to enclosures.

jimport

Occupation
Master Electrician
Is there a connector specifically listed for use on a GEC for use at the panel? The only one I have seen used, if any, was a typical NM connector, but we all know that they are not listed for this use.

celtic

jimport said:
Is there a connector specifically listed for use on a GEC for use at the panel? The only one I have seen used, if any, was a typical NM connector, but we all know that they are not listed for this use.

Yes there is.
It's called a knobbler (or something not even close to what I wrote :D LOL).

Someone will pst a pic and a link to it....or I'll have to post it when I find it...again.

jwelectric

Maybe I misunderstood the second question.

The connector at the hole in the panel is what was being addressed instead of the termination.

Two screw connectors are not listed for the grounding electrode conductor although we use them every day.

haskindm

There is a conector available called a "Kenny Clamp". It was invented by an inspector in MD. His interprettion of the code that this is "required" is creative, in my opinion - but several jurisdictions are now requiring them.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
frank_n said:
I disagree with the other answers. There is no such code, and yes I did read the quotations given by the other responders.

You can install two 20 amp SABCs to serve kitchen countertop receptacles, and you can use these same two circuits to serve the dining room receptacles. You absolutely do not have to put in a separate circuit.

That said, I think it is a good idea to have the DR receptacles on a separate circuit from kitchen receptacles. But the code does not require it.

celtic

charlie b said:
I disagree with the other answers. There is no such code, and yes I did read the quotations given by the other responders.

You can install two 20 amp SABCs to serve kitchen countertop receptacles, and you can use these same two circuits to serve the dining room receptacles. You absolutely do not have to put in a separate circuit.

HUH???

celtic said:
The circuit in the DR must be a 20A line w/o any other outlets on it ...with the exception of the SABCs.
You can have a seperate 20A line for the DR alone, or put the DR on with the countertop circuits.
Isn't what I said what you said??/

celtic

haskindm said:
There is a conector available called a "Kenny Clamp".

Sure it wasn't a knobbler?

kennyclampinstalledcloseup.jpg

http://www.mwelectricmfg.com/KennyClamp.html

(j/k no knobblers)

jimport

Occupation
Master Electrician
Sure seems like a lot of engineering for a problem I never knew existed. Has anyone seem any problems documented when using the 1/4" hole or a NM connector?

Seems like it solves the dreaded problem of strain on the GEC too.

I have always thought the required staple near the panel took care of that. Wait, are those staples listed for that use?

M. D.

hardworkingstiff said:
This is starting to get ridiculous. Not this thread, but this whole listed thing down to the nTH degree.

And I always thought it was Enth:rolleyes: :smile:

nth (
ebreve.gif
nth)
adj. 1. Relating to an unspecified ordinal number: ten to the nth power.
2. Highest; utmost: delighted to the nth degree.

Jim W in Tampa

Let me guess,somebody on the code making panel is connected to this non needed connector.There needs to be a stop to this.Never ever seen a solid bare ground wire fail cause it had no connecter.10 cent romex connector would work but wasnt tested for it.

electricmanscott

charlie b said:

That said, I think it is a good idea to have the DR receptacles on a separate circuit from kitchen receptacles. But the code does not require it.

I don't think anyone said you need a separate circuit. Your'e going to confuse the guy. :wink:

Oakey

frank_n said:

I never failed for connectors although when I asked an inspector about the plastic snap ones for the GEC he said it was not permitted. If you used those that's maybe why.

paul

That 1/4" hole in the panel and a staple have always satisfied any inspectors I've dealt with. That fitting listed looks like a waste of time, material and natural resources.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
celtic said:
HUH??? Isn't what I said what you said??/
My apologies. I missed that statement in your earlier post. By citing that particular code article, it seemed to me that you and Mike were confirming the Inspector?s position.

electricmanscott said:
I don't think anyone said you need a separate circuit. You?re going to confuse the guy.
As I understand the situation, that is exactly what the Inspector said.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
He may have run armored cable which needs to be bonded at the panel and my guess is the inspector wants a bonding bushing or a myers hub.

Just a guess.

emahler

Oakey said:
I never failed for connectors although when I asked an inspector about the plastic snap ones for the GEC he said it was not permitted. If you used those that's maybe why.

they are, i believe, quite legal if you use a stranded, insulated GEC

Status
Not open for further replies.