Failed Inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

emahler

let me know what you find out...i've not heard anything about it either...

and your expertise is being requested by the drunks at the bar...need you to quote code stuff..

JohnJ0906

My understanding is a Prince Georges co. MD inspector (possibly retired) invented this, so some jurisdictions here require them.

FYI, they are conductor size specific. You need to order for the size GEC you use - #4 stranded, #6 solid, etc.

M. D.

Those must be old ones or the new and improved ones. I think they came out in 1996 believe it or not. Every thing you never wanted or maybe wanted to know can be found here

Kenny Clamp - Patent 20030155147[SIZE=-1][0001] This invention relates to an improved Kenny Clamp. Presently there is a U.S. Pat. No. 5912434, titled Kenny Clamp. This patent is soon to be ...
www.freepatentsonline.com/20030155147.html - 32k - Cached - Similar pages
[ More results from www.freepatentsonline.com ][/SIZE]

M. D.

infinity said:
Are they listed for Aluminum conductors? If not, then that's all I'll be using.:rolleyes:

yup they are, from the link above:rolleyes:

One advantage of this clamping arrangement over the Kenny Clamp of the patent is that the orifice formed by the two part sleeve connector is large enough to accommodate a full range of wire conductors having a dimension within the range from #8-3/0 AWG (American Wire Gauge) with a 2 part sleeve having a 1/2" outer diameter at its inner end when clamped around the conductor. A 3/4" two part sleeve could also be used with a conductor within the range from from 4/0 to 250KCM(1000 Circular Mils) AWG. The conductor is made of copper or aluminum.

celtic

emahler said:
let me know what you find out...i've not heard anything about it either...

frank_n said:
I spoke to the inspector today and he said the "Kenny Clamp" is required as of March 1. I wonder why NJ didn't send out letters of this new requirement. Is it possible that it is the municipality?

Frank
Ok....here's the story (spoke with an EI today)...

A "kenny clamp" is NOT required.
This direct from Trenton (via "my" EI).

Apparently some EI's have heard/seen of the "keeny clamp" and jumped on the band wagon...citing 110.3(b) for knocking down romex conns ...dissimilar metals...etc.

The reasoning behind NOT using the kenny clamps:
- it does nothing to enhance 90.1
- cost (to the consumer)

I suggested to the EI that the State should send out a letter/web posting indicating the status of the kenny clamp use in NJ. His reply was: "EIs recieve a publication called "Construction Code Communicator" and it *may* have this information in it...at a future date. In the meantime, you can call Trenton"

So call Trenton is my suggestion.

Susan Bass Levin is no longer heading the DCA, Charles A. Richman is the
Acting Commissioner or maybe Lawrence DeMarzo Acting Director, soon to be (if not already) replaced by Joe Doria.
(Story)

In light of the transitions, it might be an easier commute to contact the Board in Newark to get a proper name/contact down in Trenton:

Ms. Barbara A. Cook, Executive Director,
Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors,
P.O. Box 45006, Newark,
N.J. 07101,
(973) 504-6410

or send an email off to Trenton:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]askconsumeraffairs@lps.state.nj.us

[/FONT] Alternate contacts (shown in Construction Code Communicator):
(609) 984-7609.
Source: Suzanne Borek
Code Assistance Unit

EDIT TO ADD:
The kenny clamp may be also be undergoing some additional UL tests ;)

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

celtic

benaround said:
Cetlic,

I heard it was getting some stiff competition from the 'knobbler', keep your

ears open.

In my defense...I got a few letters correct :D ....or maybe I was thinking of some cobbler...

wc_cobbler.jpg

I really need some cobbler. :)

hillbilly

The OP may have been speaking of the actual connection of the GEC to the Ground Bar.

A 200A GE Meter Main (with 4 additional breaker spaces), that I use frequently, only has (2) lugs on the Ground Bar that will accept #4 (or larger) conductor.

If I use these (2) terminals to land the Feeder Ground and Grounding conductors that go to the inside MLO panel, this leaves no place to land the GEC.

This is because the bonded, ground/neutral bar that's located in the Meter Main is not listed (per factory label) for #4 wire (#6 max), although the terminals are large enough for the wire to be connected.

I used to land the GEC in one of these terminals until a "friendly" inspector pointed this out to me.
I understood 250.64(C)(3) to allow using this bar for connecting the GEC, but he used the listing to turn it down.

Now I install a additional lug to land the GEC (if using a #4 GEC), or if I'm using ground rods only, I use #6.

Adding the lug seems totally un-necessary to me, but hey.... I don't make the rules:rolleyes:.

steve

sguinn

480sparky said:
I thought that's what the 1/4" holes in the panels were for....your GEC. No connector needed.

Me too, now I'm confused, I mean after all aren't panels and meter cans UL listed? I've never seen a connector for that little hole, in fact, I've never thought about 1/2 " romex connectors being wrong for larger grounds than #4 solid.:confused: :smile: :confused:

360Youth

sguinn said:
Me too, now I'm confused, I mean after all aren't panels and meter cans UL listed? I've never seen a connector for that little hole, in fact, I've never thought about 1/2 " romex connectors being wrong for larger grounds than #4 solid.:confused: :smile: :confused:

I have always used the 1/4" hole and never had a problem, but more and more that is meaning less and less. :grin: Is a grommet not listed to hold the conductor? Probably not. :rolleyes:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
frank_n said:
I spoke to the inspector today and he said the "Kenny Clamp" is required as of March 1. I wonder why NJ didn't send out letters of this new requirement. Is it possible that it is the municipality?

Frank

I don't believe him. We've never used one and passed many service inspections since March.

Status
Not open for further replies.