Faled Inspection for Lack of UFER and CERT

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdt1980

As an update,

I finally worked it out with the county inspector, the plumbers had cut open the concrete slab to run the groundwork, so i ended up installing 20'+ of rebar in the open pit, and stubbed up about 6" of the rebar and grounded it to the panels.

Thank you for everyone's response!

-HDT

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
As an update,

I finally worked it out with the county inspector, the plumbers had cut open the concrete slab to run the groundwork, so i ended up installing 20'+ of rebar in the open pit, and stubbed up about 6" of the rebar and grounded it to the panels.

-HDT

That's not an approved electrode.

250.52 Grounding Electrodes.
(A) Electrodes Permitted for Grounding.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I hope that inspector has an ESI or he has a major problem(Ohio). Building Inspector can't do that.

If the BBS allows this I'd like to see that opinion.
The building inspector does this for our town and if a copper extension is installed the concrete contractor installs it. The copper part should go away when we adopt the 2014 in June as that specifically permits a rebar extension out of the concrete for the connection of the GEC.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I think that's where the certification part comes in.
I believe its the EC's responsibility to be there after rebar is installed then get it inspected prior to concrete pour. In most jurisdictions I have been involved with, a structural pre-pour inspection is required, too, and both inspections are often performed by the same inspector.
The problem with that is that in many cases no electrical contractor has the contract at the time of the pour. That is why this inspection is done by our building inspector and why the concrete contractor has to supply an external connection point for the GEC.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
As an update,

-HDT
The NEC requires the rebar to be in a footing, not a slab to create a UFER.

Tapatalk!

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The problem with that is that in many cases no electrical contractor has the contract at the time of the pour. That is why this inspection is done by our building inspector and why the concrete contractor has to supply an external connection point for the GEC.
Kind of hard for the EC to be there before the pour if no EC has been secured :p.

More to the point of my post was pre-pour inspection and certification. Inspector could technically hold up pour until CEE has been established and certifed. Forces GC to get on the ball. :happyyes:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
That's not an approved electrode...
The NEC requires the rebar to be in a footing, not a slab to create a UFER.

FUBAR # 2 slab should have vapor barrier and not in direct contact with earth
I believe he was referring to the remedy not being in foundation or footing.

However, in general you are correct. Where slab is cut open for below slab work after the original pour the concrete patched when done, but fixing vapor barrier is usually ignored. That part of the slab is usually in direct contact with earth ...but still not in the foundation. :happysad:

Status
Not open for further replies.