Fault Current

Status
Not open for further replies.

buffalonymann

I need to specify a circuit breaker for the primary side of transformer - using bussmann fault calculator but not sure which values I should use

buffalonymann

I need to specify a circuit breaker for the primary side of transformer - using bussmann fault calculator but not sure which values I should use

I don't have the one line available so I don't know the size or impedance of the transformer to the MDP. From MPD 800 AMP 480 CB 100k rated travels about 140 ft to another 800 amp breaker 30k rated with parallel 500s. I need to install 200 amp breaker for line side of 225kva xfmr on the load side of the second 800 amp breaker

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Without know the available fault current supplying MDP I don't see how you can obtain an accurate number for the downstream breakers. Using arbitrary numbers, the 140 ft of a 800 amp run run reduce the fault current about 25k.
(I also agree with david in that a 200 amp breaker is normally small for a 225kva 480v transformer)

Last edited:

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
Std impedance is going to be around 4.8%, for a 225KVA transformer with std tolerance of +/-7.5%. For Short circuit it's the -7.5% that is used.

Thus for 225KVA @ 4.46%; Max thru fault SC is roughly 5.045MVAsc. Using those numbers can get you in the ballpark for rating requirements at transformer.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Std impedance is going to be around 4.8%, for a 225KVA transformer with std tolerance of +/-7.5%. For Short circuit it's the -7.5% that is used.

Thus for 225KVA @ 4.46%; Max thru fault SC is roughly 5.045MVAsc. Using those numbers can get you in the ballpark for rating requirements at transformer.

I may have misread but I think he is questioning devices on the line side

topgone

I don't have the one line available so I don't know the size or impedance of the transformer to the MDP. From MPD 800 AMP 480 CB 100k rated travels about 140 ft to another 800 amp breaker 30k rated with parallel 500s. I need to install 200 amp breaker for line side of 225kva xfmr on the load side of the second 800 amp breaker

A single-line diagram could help, IMO.

mayanees

Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Master Electrician
SC rating for 200-amp breaker

SC rating for 200-amp breaker

To determine the necessary kA rating for the 200-amp primary breaker, look upstream to the transformer that is feeding the panel that houses it. The worst-case short circuit rating for the breaker will be the transformer kVA/voltage/1.732/impedance (Z). So for a 480V, 500 kVA unit, 500/480/1.732/0.05 for a 5% Z = 12.028kA is the highest required short circuit rating. You could also just match the rating for the breakers in the panel, but that assumes that the original installation is correct.
A more precise calculation would include cable lengths and the reported utility contribution. If you need help with that then post the information (in one-line diagram sketch) and I'll run the SKM analysis, or someone will beat me to it.
Peace, and run.
John M

mayanees

Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Master Electrician

buffalony,

I just saw this explanation of the circuit and write to append my post.

Your 200-amp breaker should match the 30kA rating for the 800-amp panel main. That's the easy answer. If you're trying to reduce the rating to something less than 30kA, you could look to use NEC 240.86 Series Ratings and find a breaker that's listed with the model of the 800-amp, 30 kA rated breaker to get you to 30kA.

buffalonymann

What's the secondary voltage and what is it supplying?

We are a plastics extrusion company; extruders have long barrels with resistance heaters attached. We use 480/240 delta-delta XFMR to supply single phase heaters. They installed parallel secondary conductors to distribution blocks to power the 3 and 4 kw heaters. They installed a 300 amp breaker on the primary. I am eliminating one of the secondary sets of conductors and so I need to limit the primary current to limit the current on the now single secondary conductors.

buffalonymann

buffalony,

I just saw this explanation of the circuit and write to append my post.

Your 200-amp breaker should match the 30kA rating for the 800-amp panel main. That's the easy answer. If you're trying to reduce the rating to something less than 30kA, you could look to use NEC 240.86 Series Ratings and find a breaker that's listed with the model of the 800-amp, 30 kA rated breaker to get you to 30kA.

I don't know the 30kA rating is engineered. I have a request in to acquire the one line so I can see the XFMR specs and calculate the FC

dkidd

Occupation
PE

The breaker needs to have a rating equal to or higher than the available fault current from the source at the breaker. This is independent of what it feeds or its rating.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
We are a plastics extrusion company; extruders have long barrels with resistance heaters attached. We use 480/240 delta-delta XFMR to supply single phase heaters. They installed parallel secondary conductors to distribution blocks to power the 3 and 4 kw heaters. They installed a 300 amp breaker on the primary. I am eliminating one of the secondary sets of conductors and so I need to limit the primary current to limit the current on the now single secondary conductors.

Without knowing all the details, it sounds like the conductors from the distribution blocks to the heaters is a violation of 240.21.

Also, will the 200A c/b properly protect the now single set of secondary conductors per 240.21(C)(1)?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
... I need to limit the primary current to limit the current on the now single secondary conductors.

This is not what protective devices do.

The Amps Interrupting Current or Rating (AIC or AIR) is the amount of fault current the protective device can interrupt/clear without damaging itself. The AIC rating has to be greater than the amount of fault current available on its load side terminal. So the selection of a transformer primary side protective device involves understanding the system parameters and pretty much has nothing to do with the secondary side at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.