Feeder Calculation for different types of occupancies

Status
Not open for further replies.

KP2

Were in the code book does it state that for a feeder calculation we calculate the square footage of different areas at their respectable va per sqft.
Ex. For a School;
auditorium is 1 va/sqft
Cafeteria is 2 va/sqft
classroom is 3 va/sqft ...ect.

Thanks
Kevin

KP2

I just don't see the words I'm looking for and I feel like I assume that I can calculate each space seperatly and add them up and when I look to the wording of 220.12 for support it only states "ouside dimmension of building, ect..."

I have allways seperated area's to do the calc but I wanted to see the wording.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I just don't see the words I'm looking for and I feel like I assume that I can calculate each space seperatly and add them up and when I look to the wording of 220.12 for support it only states "ouside dimmension of building, ect..."

I have allways seperated area's to do the calc but I wanted to see the wording.

See last three listings in table mentioned.

KP2

See last three listings in table mentioned.

What I'm looking for is clearification on adding the different types of locations within one building to determin the lighting load based on sqft.

Ex.
20,000 sqft school has the following; 4,000 sqft of cafeteria, 4,000 sqft of auditoriom and 3,000 sqft of office's.

Cafe. 4,000 x 2 = 8,000va
Aud. 4,000 x 1 = 4,000va
Off. 3,000 x 3.5 = 10,500va
Class 9,000 x 3 = 27,000va
Total = 49,500va

OR

20,000 x 3 = 60,000va

I was looking for clarification on which calc should be used.

OTT2

What I'm looking for is clearification on adding the different types of locations within one building to determin the lighting load based on sqft.

Ex.
20,000 sqft school has the following; 4,000 sqft of cafeteria, 4,000 sqft of auditoriom and 3,000 sqft of office's.

Cafe. 4,000 x 2 = 8,000va
Aud. 4,000 x 1 = 4,000va
Off. 3,000 x 3.5 = 10,500va
Class 9,000 x 3 = 27,000va
Total = 49,500va

OR

20,000 x 3 = 60,000va

I was looking for clarification on which calc should be used.

Use the upper calc by occupancy.

The title of 220.12 Lighting Load for Specified Occupancies I believe is what you?re looking for. Farther on in the paragraph where it states ??or other area involved.?

Smart $

Esteemed Member

It's going to bear upon the occupancy type(s). If it is a school and the only occupancy type on the C of O, the major portion of the building will need to be figured at 3VA/ft?, with the only exceptions being the last three subcategories I noted earlier. Local code amendments may permit otherwise. It is also possible different sections of the building can be written up as different types of occupancy. The AHJ should be able to tell you what type or types of occupancy were applied for. Or, if it is still in the design stage, ask the archi'.

If you do talk to the AHJ, and the cafeteria falls under the school occupancy, ask if the seating area can be considered an "assembly hall".

KP2

It's going to bear upon the occupancy type(s). If it is a school and the only occupancy type on the C of O, the major portion of the building will need to be figured at 3VA/ft?, with the only exceptions being the last three subcategories I noted earlier. Local code amendments may permit otherwise. It is also possible different sections of the building can be written up as different types of occupancy. The AHJ should be able to tell you what type or types of occupancy were applied for. Or, if it is still in the design stage, ask the archi'.

If you do talk to the AHJ, and the cafeteria falls under the school occupancy, ask if the seating area can be considered an "assembly hall".

Ok
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.