feeders through attached single family dwellings

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

feeders through attached single family dwellings

• keep everything outside

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The wall for all meters is owned by that property owner is that permitted?

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

eleccode

The question is can feeders run through privately owned attached single family dwellings that are seperated by zero lot lines at the fire walls build over the seperating basement concrete foundation walls. These are not condominiums, each structure has a property line that runs fron the street, straight through the center of a double framed partioning wall. They want to mount the meter/disconnects at one end and run SER through the joist of each owned dwelling penetrating the fire wall sepertion in the first floor joist. I am saying they can't unless run below the slabs in conduit and their point of entry will be where they come up into each individual unit, I also believe they can then not include the exterior disconnect as long as the point of entry is within a reasonable distance to the MDP. If I am correct these will not be called feeders any longer but service enterance cables.

Any code section would help!

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
The question is can feeders run through privately owned attached single family dwellings that are seperated by zero lot lines at the fire walls build over the seperating basement concrete foundation walls. These are not condominiums, each structure has a property line that runs fron the street, straight through the center of a double framed partioning wall. They want to mount the meter/disconnects at one end and run SER through the joist of each owned dwelling penetrating the fire wall sepertion in the first floor joist. I am saying they can't unless run below the slabs in conduit and their point of entry will be where they come up into each individual unit, I also believe they can then not include the exterior disconnect as long as the point of entry is within a reasonable distance to the MDP. If I am correct these will not be called feeders any longer but service enterance cables.

Any code section would help!

Yes you can do that.

Also you what to check with your local building code.

Welcome to the forum..:thumbsup:

300.21 Spread of Fire or Products of Combustion. Electrical
installations in hollow spaces, vertical shafts, and
ventilation or air-handling ducts shall be made so that the
possible spread of fire or products of combustion will not
be substantially increased. Openings around electrical penetrations
into or through fire-resistant-rated walls, partition
floors, or ceilings shall be firestopped using approved
methods to maintain the fire resistance rating.

Informational Note: Directories of electrical construction
materials published by qualified testing laboratories contain
many listing installation restrictions necessary to maintain
the fire-resistive rating of assemblies where penetrations or
openings are made.
Building codes also contain restrictions
on membrane penetrations on opposite sides of a fireresistance-
rated wall assembly. An example is the 600-mm
(24-in.) minimum horizontal separation that usually applies
between boxes installed on opposite sides of the wall. Assistance
in complying with 300.21 can be found in building
codes, fire resistance directories, and product listings.

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Yes, they would be service entrance conductors.

I'm having a problem coming to terms with the meters and service entrance conductors being located on a property(s) other than that which is being served....???

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Yes, they would be service entrance conductors.

I'm having a problem coming to terms with the meters and service entrance conductors being located on a property(s) other than that which is being served....???

I think he means multy family dwellings by this maybe he can clairfy.

privately owned attached single family dwellings that are seperated by zero lot lines at the fire walls build over the seperating basement concrete foundation walls.

hurk27

If each unit is separately own deeded property then no, while it is not an NEC rule, it would be called utility trespass under property laws, If there was no easement built into the deeds then it is what I have said, they need to talk to a property lawyer, here this has happened in strip malls that were once own by a single entity but later sold off as separate parcels of properties.

Can also happen when a single owner apartment complex is sold off as single dwellings like condos.

Here is why this has to be paid attention to:
say a middle owner wants a sunken hot tub in his what used to be a dinning room, so he cuts the floor out and cuts through these feeders, the question asked is he responsible to provide a path for them? No the law will side his favor as he owns the property and the feeder was trespassing upon it, this would be not any different then a utility running service laterals across your back yard to the house next door, and you decide to put in a swimming pool, the law says they are trespassing cut them.

the reason I know about this is it has happened here, once on a strip mall that was sold off as separate property, the property line was straight in line with each separating wall out including the parking lots in both front and back of the building, the new owner needed more room and punched out the back wall to add on, cutting all the tenets after him power conduits, trust me he won.

Now if its done right, a deed will include a right of way allowing common area permission to allow utility's to pass through in a given area, ever wonder why most utility company's require you to give up an easement when they have to put a transformer on a pole up by your house?

eleccode

These structures are definetley under the ICC codes are not multi-family, they share no common area and all units have their private and seperate means of egress. I agree with the person who covered property rights as it is fairly common when approving overhead service drops to request mid-span taps from the utility providers to prevent aerial trespass and again special easements to utilities when equipment such as transformers are placed on private property. These easements become part of a recorded deed and the utilities have their own real estate divisions who ensure these get approved and recorded at the local town clerk's office before they will even consider an installation.

I know in condo's this was an approved installation through other dwellings, but these are being sold as private property with no required association or condo fees attached.

Status
Not open for further replies.