Feeding Chiller Module

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Thats pretty lame that the chiller people dont offer a unit higher than 10K. are they stuck in 1983 or something?
It seems to be improving but I am still surprised at how many in our profession, including inspectors, who have no concept of "withstand current" and "AIC". I used to reject installations over that ,and my supervisor complained that out of 54 inspectors there were 3 of us that seemingly addressed the issue.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
Thats pretty lame that the chiller people dont offer a unit higher than 10K. are they stuck in 1983 or something?
So the sales person I contacted said no and that he's not an engineer obviously, I told him if I can speak with one of the engineers at the chiller company and waiting to hear back...

synchro

Occupation
EE
Although I'm late, I think you can achieve an AFC below 10 kA at the chillers if you are going to use a current-limiting reactor. My calcs tell me you need a 5%, 5 kVAr, 208V reactor (20uH) in conjunction with a 300 kVA transformer. But, it is a reactor that gives you a series impedance or a loss of 0.2%.

What secondary voltage on the transformer did you use for these calculations?

Knightryder12

Occupation
Sr. Electrical Designer/Project Manager
So the sales person I contacted said no and that he's not an engineer obviously, I told him if I can speak with one of the engineers at the chiller company and waiting to hear back...
What manufacturer is this? Our mechanical guys work with Trane, Daikin, etc and they all offer higher than 10K AIC.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
It seems to be improving but I am still surprised at how many in our profession, including inspectors, who have no concept of "withstand current" and "AIC". I used to reject installations over that ,and my supervisor complained that out of 54 inspectors there were 3 of us that seemingly addressed the issue.
At this point it's about ethics, why would he complain for doing your job?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
At this point it's about ethics, why would he complain for doing your job?
Our unwritten prime responsibility was "don't generate calls to the office" :)
Addressing fault current situations was new to some ECs and GCs so there 1st reaction was to complain to the inspector's supervisor ie: an unwanted phone call,.

No doubt you have heard the "we install these all over and no one has ever asked for such a thing"...... :)

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
Never heard of these guys down here in the south. But it still surprises me that cannot offer anything higher than 10K.
The sales guy is not even an engineer so I don't even know if he understands what I'm talking about with SCCR. Hopefully when I speak with manufacturer they will give me something higher than 10kA

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
Our unwritten prime responsibility was "don't generate calls to the office" :)
Addressing fault current situations was new to some ECs and GCs so there 1st reaction was to complain to the inspector's supervisor ie: an unwanted phone call,.

No doubt you have heard the "we install these all over and no one has ever asked for such a thing"...... :)
Let's play a little devils advocate... I'm kind of wondering though has there ever been an incident where an HVAC equipment SCCR was undersized and it created a catastrophic failure? I'm sure it can happen but I would assume it being extremely rare

synchro

Occupation
EE

The sales guy is not even an engineer so I don't even know if he understands what I'm talking about with SCCR. Hopefully when I speak with manufacturer they will give me something higher than 10kA

When you speak with the manufacturer, perhaps you could ask them if you could provide individual overcurrent protection for each of the 8 chiller modules. If they push back then you could mention that their installation manual says it's mandatory for a circuit breaker to be "installed as near as possible to the appliance", and that using individual breakers would allow this to happen.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
When you speak with the manufacturer, perhaps you could ask them if you could provide individual overcurrent protection for each of the 8 chiller modules. If they push back then you could mention that their installation manual says it's mandatory for a circuit breaker to be "installed as near as possible to the appliance", and that using individual breakers would allow this to happen.
But it will be protected with fuses, hence they give us recommended fuse size... why do we need a circuit breaker?

Last edited:

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
At least in the manual that I found, it says this on page 17 under the heading of "it is mandatory: ".
I don't have any idea if this is the most up to date manual.
I found it... but I edited my question

it will be protected with fuses, hence they give us recommended fuse size... why do we need a circuit breaker?

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
I think it's just another reason why you need to get info from real engineers and not sales people.
And they expect a circuit breaker to be as close as possible to the unit while keeping the fault current below 10kA? Are you freaking kidding me!?!

topgone

At least in the manual that I found, it says this on page 17 under the heading of "it is mandatory: ".
I don't have any idea if this is the most up-to-date manual.
Maybe not as a protective device but as a disconnect for safety purposes. That is a provision in the OSHA, a disconnect that is located within line of sight from the equipment. One project of mine (80-ton RTUs) have circuit breakers near them (all eight of them).

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
Maybe not as a protective device but as a disconnect for safety purposes. That is a provision in the OSHA, a disconnect that is located within line of sight from the equipment. One project of mine (80-ton RTUs) have circuit breakers near them (all eight of them).
The unit already has a built in disconnect so I don't know what the heck they're talking about in that manual. See below circle in blue

1713138197754.png