Feel like I'm being taken advantage of

Status
Not open for further replies.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I hate these kind of scenarios being presented, because everyone makes a judgement based on one-sided information.

I come from a time, place and family where you appreciate the job and paycheck enough that you do what's needed to get the work done.

Instead of thinking of your job as a liability, how about giving it your all? Then after giving it your all if you don't feel appreciated, then find somewhere else to go give it your all

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I hate these kind of scenarios being presented, because everyone makes a judgement based on one-sided information.

I come from a time, place and family where you appreciate the job and paycheck enough that you do what's needed to get the work done.

Instead of thinking of your job as a liability, how about giving it your all? Then after giving it your all if you don't feel appreciated, then find somewhere else to go give it your all
Including driving your personal vehicle all over creation when you were promised a company vehicle?

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Including driving your personal vehicle all over creation when you were promised a company vehicle?
For a short time, yes.

He said his van is getting worked on.
Good enough, drive his own for a while.

Then he added that the mechanic has had enough time to fix the van. How does he know how busy that mechanic is?

I just hate the mentality of an employee thinking the boss is the only one who's supposed to give, give, give. How about a little bit of reciprocity?

And honestly, it wouldn't surprise me to find out the guy just asked for a $200 draw, then complain about driving his own car for a week.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I don’t like employees driving their own vehicles for work. Not even to get there. Generally I had a spare someplace.
I hired my first full-time guy back in August. Told him I need a bit to get him a van. He was only driving to the job and home, but it was a long drive. The van was a big bonus for him.

Bought one 6 weeks later. I removed almost everything from my pickup and we stocked it in the van.

It made sense because we worked on the same job every day, but sometimes I might go look at a job or some other task first thing in the day. He could show up without me and get busy. It made sense.

That same week, he started showing up only 2 or 3 days a week and it really put me in a bind not having tools and materials on the job. That nonsense dragged on for 2 months until I told him he was fired and I need the van back.

norcal

Be sure to log every mile you drive for the company,date, time, starting mileage, ending mileage, and job name in blue or black ink in a logbook with non removable pages, good for CYA.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
There are several apps out there that does it. You just swipe left or right, and it logs your trip as personal or business. Provides positive proof to the IRS you traveled there, and even tells you the total possible deduction you get.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research

IMHO it must be a two way street, or you will get walked on.

An employee should be flexible to help make things work. But they should be compensated fairly for that flexibility.

There are well understood ways to allocated the costs for using a personal car. IMHO the OP should be willing to be flexible about using their personal car but their boss should be fair about paying for this.

-Jon

ritelec

Company does not supply tools. I have a four-door sedan which is my only car with 160,000 on it. I have all my tools in there, hand tools drills bits band saw pipe bender etc.

Like I said we do supermarkets maintenance so I might go to one that's 30 mi away and then I might go to the next and that's 15 mi from there. The supply house could be anywhere from 5 to 50 miles away.
Yesterday alone I went to a job site 50 miles away. From there I went to the supply house which is right by my house another 50 miles back to the job site and back to my house so just about 200 miles
There are alot of USERS out there. I kick my self in the head for working for years ( decades ) for a bunch of users, but I had bills to pay. Looking back now at those times I was a fool for letting people take advantage of me, but it was my fault, I allowed it. I paid those bills but spun my wheels all those years busting a nut to line someone else's pocket. oh well, live and learn.

Working for a company that doesn't supply you tools ??? And now have you using your personal vehicle to keep his company going?

Not sure of your work ethics and the way you're looking for a piece of cake job, but I might suggest to make a SERIOUS effort to find a established PROFESSIONAL shop.. And one that treats their employees with some respect and appreciation.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
IMHO it must be a two way street, or you will get walked on.

An employee should be flexible to help make things work. But they should be compensated fairly for that flexibility.

There are well understood ways to allocated the costs for using a personal car. IMHO the OP should be willing to be flexible about using their personal car but their boss should be fair about paying for this.

-Jon
I agree 100%

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I worked for one company many years ago, they furnished a van, but didn’t have any tools on it, not even a bender or ladder. After a month, I told them I’m pulling my tools off over the weekend, and they needed to get some. They did. Found out later the owner was mismanaging the company, and it was about to go under. The Vice President and I put in our notices the same day.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Sorry but I don't quite understand this whole issue. Never had a job that provided a vehicle or tools In 40yrs. So jumping to self employed wasn't any big deal either. Had to buy my own tools even specialty ones, if needed to make my life easier just got it. Self employed did get me a nicer van though.

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
Hate to see our industry lean towards treating employees like a subcontractor. It's gone from a tool bag to a truck full of personally owned tools.

On the other side cut the guy a break for a couple weeks and see what happens. Even a company owner needs a little help every now and then. The return could be greater than the loss.

I have seen an owner allow an employee use a company vehicle when his car broke down so turnabout is fair play.

A good working relationship between an employee and an owner is valuable. That is one way you build a relationship to move up. It's earned not given.

A simple conversation with the owner would resolve a lot of this issue. Then you know where you stand. I've always found that being fair is the best way to go. I have found that honesty is the best policy.

Your reputation follows you everywhere. So make a good decision not only on the current but your future and where you want to be and what type of electrician you want to be.

Wish you the best of luck.

Never had a job that provided a vehicle or tools
a) things have changed in the 40+ years I've been working
b) things work differently in different areas

Back in the original post, we're told-
When I started I was told that we don't use our personal vehicles.
While not exactly a contract, the company changed their rules at a cost to the employee, therefore the employee ought to be compensated for that, IMHO that includes insurance coverage while on company time and mileage at the IRS rate. It's really simply.

kwired

Electron manager
IMHO - That's too much driving even if it's not your own vehicle. It's too stressful. But it being your car own with a 160,000 on it. Personally, I would not do it.
Perhaps you can get a job that's harder and more challenging.
I can understand it being excessive to expect out of a personal vehicle, but there are many people in all sorts of kinds of work that drive that far or even more on regular basis as part of their job. Especially out here in the boonies.

kwired

Electron manager
That one trip gave your a 56.00 deduction off your taxes. 2021 is .56 a mile. So keep a log book. That is key for proof.
Do that twice a day four days a week for a year $$$ big chunk of change. Do the math
Not a direct credit to tax owed but rather a reduction in amount of taxable income.

And had the employer reimbursed you same amount, such reimbursements are not taxable income either.

kwired

Electron manager
I hired my first full-time guy back in August. Told him I need a bit to get him a van. He was only driving to the job and home, but it was a long drive. The van was a big bonus for him.

Bought one 6 weeks later. I removed almost everything from my pickup and we stocked it in the van.

It made sense because we worked on the same job every day, but sometimes I might go look at a job or some other task first thing in the day. He could show up without me and get busy. It made sense.

That same week, he started showing up only 2 or 3 days a week and it really put me in a bind not having tools and materials on the job. That nonsense dragged on for 2 months until I told him he was fired and I need the van back.
Might not been bad idea for him to come to shop or your home or whatever to pick up that van every day. Especially if it was the only company vehicle stocked with items needed. Some chance he come to shop first thing every day anyhow in many cases. If there is a place inside shop to park it every night, is better security of that vehicle as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.