Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
True enough.
And next time, my point will still stand

6 minutes to change device hot

20 minutes to connect some kind of pigtails ---> hot, by the way ---> to find the circuit
If it takes someone 20 mins to hook up a pigtail...........................................
Seen too many that tried to change one hot and something slipped, arced, and blacked the walls up. Then you find the breaker anyway!;)
Doesn't take me more than a couple of minutes, depending on how far the panel is away, to hook up the tester, find and turn the breaker off.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
I love those acronyms on this site, which are completely baffling to me ... maybe create an "Acronym Library" for those, like me that are not up to speed. Until recently, I didn't do much social media messaging.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
If it takes someone 20 mins to hook up a pigtail...........................................
Seen too many that tried to change one hot and something slipped, arced, and blacked the walls up. Then you find the breaker anyway!;)
Doesn't take me more than a couple of minutes, depending on how far the panel is away, to hook up the tester, find and turn the breaker off.
I think you're missing the point.
No matter what kind of apparatus he connects to the wiring inside a switch box (in order to find the circuit and turn it off), he would have to do it hot.

That's more effort, more time, and more risk than simply swapping out the device hot.

And believe me - if he's already scared enough of electricity that he needs the power off to change a switch, it will take him at least 20 minutes to tinker inside that box with the power on.

I think you're missing the point.
No matter what kind of apparatus he connects to the wiring inside a switch box (in order to find the circuit and turn it off), he would have to do it hot.

That's more effort, more time, and more risk than simply swapping out the device hot.

And believe me - if he's already scared enough of electricity that he needs the power off to change a switch, it will take him at least 20 minutes to tinker inside that box with the power on.
For a simple Resi switch, sure, I would probably just do it hot. But there's going to be other more complicated situations where the circuit will need to be turned off. I assume the OP is just talking generally not specifically about the next resi switch he has to do 😉

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It's so simple, as others have said, to either plug in something that makes noise, or use an extension cord and a light.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
For a simple Resi switch, sure, I would probably just do it hot. But there's going to be other more complicated situations where the circuit will need to be turned off. I assume the OP is just talking generally not specifically about the next resi switch he has to do 😉
He was soecifically talking about something to use for changing a switch. He said he found testers....BUT the plug in. Screenshot_20220918-210744_Chrome.jpg

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
It's so simple, as others have said, to either plug in something that makes noise, or use an extension cord and a light.
The problem, however, is how to connect it if there is no powered receptacle known to be on the circuit.
For example, if the only loads known to be on the circuit were controlled by the broken (open circuited) switch.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

He was soecifically talking about something to use for changing a switch. He said he found testers....BUT the plug in

almost every tester I have seen has various adapters, and typically one with alligator clips. Some have an inductive clamp as well. IF not, just make one up. Connect one to the yoke and the other to the line side screw with the switch off, dont have to touch anything hot.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
And by the way, he wasnt looking for advice on whether he should do it hot next time..........
I realize that. But sometimes people don't know what they're asking, or they haven't considered all the implications.

That's why I've been so adamant.

He says - can you give advice on how to turn off the circuit for a switch so I don't have to work it hot.

In response, people have given loads of suggestions on hooking up some apparatus HOT so he can turn off the circuit before working on it.
🙄🙄🙄

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
some times I simply add a heavy wattage halogen lamp to the circuit, running it off a cord all the way to me at the panel or in some cases had a remote box to disengage the load with the push of a button, while confirming the high amp fluctuation during my moments of on/ off tests.
some times those circuit tracers are close but not close enough, then some guys computer or machine gets accidently shut off, been there done that ..

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
I recently had an issue at a customer’s house where I couldn’t find the circuit I was working on. I was troubleshooting a switch and the client had a 30+ circuit panel, with 2 subpanels, none of which were properly labeled.

If I had someone with me, this wouldn’t be an issue, but I was alone. I’ve had homeowners help me in the past, but that’s never ideal and this particular owner was an older gentleman who couldn’t help much. I tried flipping a few breakers, jogging up to the 3rd floor, and testing the circuit. This was frustrating, tiring and not ideal because there were people working from home in the house.

I found some testers online that will locate a circuit, but they work by plugging something into an outlet and testing at the panel.

I ended up replacing the switch while it was hot, which turned out ok, but I never want to do that if I don’t have to.

Any suggestions or recommendations for locating a circuit when alone? Thanks for the advice!
In a situation as you have described I have found a bullet proof method. And it only requires two trips to the panel. I just turn off all the breakers in the panel. Swap out the switch and turn everything back on. This might not work at a hospital or a chicken factory but at a residence it is not a problem. After all, the home owner has to be prepared for at least one circuit to be turned off. And if they can live one with off for ten minutes they can probably live with more than one off.

Status
Not open for further replies.