Finished basement

Status
Not open for further replies.

physis

Re: Finished basement

Never said that.

But, if your bare feet can be in contact with a cement slab, I think GFI is a good idea.

jimwalker

Well thats every outlet in most homes here unless we think carpet will make a differance.I agree its a good idea but dont see it likely to happen because of the cost

physis

It isn't code either. I just like GFI's more than most folks.

This cheap building practice sounds a lot more like the way we build commercial warehouses over here. It's a shame you guys are building junk like that to live in.

jimwalker

We build what the people are willing to pay for.Yes it is a shame when we could offer far safer homes but the price tag is what 90 % care about the most.

physis

Just the thought of walking around on a cold cement floor. It costs a fortune to waste heat into those things too. And the only time they warm up is when it's too hot.

Our standard of living doesn't seem to have the best trajectory anymore.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

I thought the presence of water was what began the safety issues requiring GFI's. In a utility room, regardless of the flooring in question, there are dangers present; water heaters leak, etc.

People power-wash their garages, spill antifreeze, etc. Basements fill during a flood--perhaps that is a compelling reason to remove the "habitable room" from 210.8(5).

Concrete houses are catching on around here, slowly. I've seen cast earth houses. All the exterior walls, and perhaps some interior walls are concrete or cast earth. I don't see protecting a whole house as a reasonable requirement, unless it doesn't have a roof! :D

I'm on the fence. I think, as it stands now, the AHJ makes the final determination about the status of an area. This system seems to work, IMO. Thoughts?

charlie

The last several comments is the reason that the Code Making Panels generally want a "body count" before making a change. If no one is getting hurt, is it really a danger? It does seem that some changes are being made lately that the panel just thinks it is a good idea and doesn't have a body count. :D

allenwayne

Slab floors here are the norm,why No basements when the water table is 3 ft ;) As far as junk I have to disagree,After andrew the building code was dramatically changed.Wind speeds were increased to if not mistaken 150 MPH,Windows that were allowed to screwed into 1x4 are now tapconned directly into block walls,If within 15 miles of the coastline all windows must either be tempered safety glass or have hurricane shutters installed.Since snow is not an issue load weights are not as extreme as up north.Besides termites leave cement alone.It would be cheaper to build in wood as opposed to block walls and cement slabs ;)

physis

Ok,

I'm not thinking of GFI's everywhere indoors. It hadn't occured to me that so many people are living in cement boxes.

But what would you guys say about the barefoot electric guitar situation?

physis

Yeah, I know it probably wouldn't do squat across the power supply. But there must be other gadgets that would create the same situation and the GFI would work.

allenwayne

Not sure about others but given a 150 MPH hurricane I would opt for the concrete box :D No brainer ;)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Originally posted by jimwalker:
Could have been freezing my butt in the north :D

Roger

[ March 13, 2005, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

jimwalker

Roger ,look at it this way if its under 45 i aint working period.So maybe its best i stay right here and p :cool: ut up with getting sun burned in the winter

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

So does that mean we won't have to hear you whine about low wages anymore? :D

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.