Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Finished basement

So I guess we will still hear you whine about low wages. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Roger

james wuebker

Physis
I played guitar a long time ago and I di remember getting shocked when I was playing on the cement floor. I do agree with what you said. What Charie's comment about code review on this I don't agree. It sounds like the panel won't review this subject until someones gets hurt. I think that the panel should look a head a little. I would hate to see someone die then look at this a little harder. Again maybe it's OK to have a cement floor for a finish room. I don't think so in my thinking but I haven't been in areas of the USA other than Iowa.
Bye now!
Jim

physis

I've heard it mentioned out here that nobody's actually keeping track of or compiling electrical related accidents or deaths. I don't know if that's true or not but if it is there might already be a body count.

I'm a little GFI happy though. And Charlie's a little GFI unhappy. :D

Edit: Yeah, you're right Charlie, I wouldn't want to be responsible for something like the AFI deal.
Edit: I don't think it's too unreasonable to have GFI for uncovered cement floors.

[ March 15, 2005, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: physis ]

allenwayne

About 8 years ago I did a custom home that had polished concrete floors.Home owner was allergic to dust etc.So all the floors in the home were concrete.The thought of gfci protection throughout never crossed my mind.

If required for all concrete floors wouldn`t it be the same for lets say tile on a concrete floor :eek: But I don`t advocate working live just the way I do things :D

physis

Yeah, I guess it would. Alright, rather than trying to figure out which concrete floors get GFI protection, all cord and plug attatched appliances and equipment have to have built in GFI protection. :D

timhood

Originally posted by jwelectric:
I too agree with the wisdom of Sam and Charlie on the call of is this finished. Having been in this situation before with basements and rooms over garages I have found that the one question that the Inspector always asks was; ?Is this area heated or air conditioned??
What about a garage that is insulated and sheet rocked, walls and ceiling? Would you consider this finished--should it have an outlet every 12 feet? Thanks, Tim

mvannevel

Is that a "similar room or area" as stated in 210.52(A)? 210.52(G) requires one receptacle in attached garages and detached garages with electric power. Would it be smart to put a lot of receptacles in a garage that's insulated and drywalled? Yes. Is it required? No, not in my opinion.

volt101

I have already asked this question months ago but will state it again.
If the rooms are unfinished bedrooms in a unfinished basement that have egress windows, sheetrock on walls and ceilings, smoke detectors installed, and yes JW, a closet. The only "unfinished" about them are no floor covering and no beds, at least at the time of the final inspection( I know, inspect don't expect), but give me a break here, that night the beds went in.
What do you do, ask them to install arc-fault breakers and put a gfi receptacle in? You would be covering all the bases, but you would not have made up your mind wether or not it was finished or unfinished....
Jim

bradleyelectric

Originally posted by jimwalker:
Well thats every outlet in most homes here unless we think carpet will make a differance.I agree its a good idea but dont see it likely to happen because of the cost
If the floor is carpeted, are your bare feet touching the concrete or the carpet? It's not like a normal installation would be the put plywood over the concrete than put carpet down.

benaround

Volt101,

They called for a final inspection,but were they ready? What does the permit say is being done. Could you tell them that the 99% that is done looks good and to give you one more call when it's 100%.That way you could see if afci or whatever the case may be is installed. For no other reason than to CYA

electricmanscott

Originally posted by timhood:
What about a garage that is insulated and sheet rocked, walls and ceiling? Would you consider this finished--should it have an outlet every 12 feet? Thanks, Tim
Not if it is a garage. One receptacle is all that you need.

Occupation
Inspector

What about a garage that is insulated and sheet rocked, walls and ceiling? Would you consider this finished-- should it have an outlet every 12 feet?
I see in Article 210.52 (A) (1) that the distance between receptacles in a dwelling is 6'. Where do I find reference to the 12' rule?

Thanks

Norb

electricmanscott

Originally posted by 1793:
I see in Article 210.52 (A) (1) that the distance between receptacles in a dwelling is 6'. Where do I find reference to the 12' rule?

Thanks

Norb
This would explain why some houses have a gazillion receptacles spaced only 6 feet apart.
The rule requires that no point along a wall will be more than six feet from a receptacle. This means start at a doorway measure six feet max to receptacle, now measure from this receptacle 12 feet max and so on. The center point between the receptacles will be 6 feet from either one.
I hope this explanation makes some sort of sense. :eek:

sparky_magoo

Here in California, it is commonplace to insulate and 'rock garage walls. Unless the HO wants to pay extra, they only get one receptacle in the garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.