Fire Alarm Power Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grouch1980

In a building there's a 30 amp fire alarm disconnect switch. 277/480 volt power wiring leaves the switch and goes to a step-down transformer about a few hundred feet away. The load side of the transformer (120/208) feeds the fire alarm panels. We have to re-reroute the 277/480 volt power wiring, so we'll need to cut and splice the wiring. is there anything in the NEC that prohibits splicing of the power wiring?

I've seen posts regarding the low voltage cabling that goes to each fire alarm device, and that can be spliced. What i'm asking about is the power wiring between the main disconnect and the fire alarm panels (with a transformer in between).

Thanks!

Last edited:

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
In a building there's a 30 amp fire alarm disconnect switch. 277/480 volt power wiring leaves the switch and goes to a step-down transformer about a few hundred feet away. The load side of the transformer (120/208) feeds the fire alarm panels. We have to re-reroute the 277/480 volt power wiring, so we'll need to cut and splice the wiring. is there anything in the NEC that prohibits splicing of the power wiring?

I've seen posts regarding the low voltage cabling that goes to each fire alarm device, and that can be spliced. What i'm asking about is the power wiring between the main disconnect and the fire alarm panels (with a transformer in between).

Thanks!
I don't recall any restrictions regarding the line side supply for fire alarm equipment, but if you're dealing with NYC, they're kinda squirrely when it comes to fire alarm wiring. I'd check with the fire department.

Buck Parrish

It's just a junction box. Theoretically if spliced correctly. Their should be no problems, ever. Also very little load on the circuit.

Is some one telling you it can not or should not be done ?

Grouch1980

No one told me anything yet. Technically yes it can work. I just want to make sure there's nothing in the code that prohibits splicing of this type of wiring that power fire alarm equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.