Fire Alarm Wiring Layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

So would like to feedback on the layout of fire alarm cabling. I understand Class A returns and a/b(alternating circuits), NAC & IDC. On the attached drawing( lines look like dog sh&^) I roughly drew in how I think the cabling would be run in field to the NAC devices( I didn't do each one). I know there would be separate pair for the speakers and strobes. Just referring to the power limited fire alarm cabling.
1. The cabling would have to be(normally) daisy chained to each device, correct as shown?
2. Is this how, more or less, the cabling would be run or would there be a different/better routing of the cable(s)?

And I know the cabling is starting at FCC but it would come from the DGP.

Not bidding this( lollol) just looking for some insight.

Thank you.

Attachments

• FA TEST LAYOUT.pdf
    125.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

JFletcher

I don't know much about fire alarm wiring layout, however it appears that there's about a dozen devices you missed completely.

When I did voice / data / video, there were never wire layouts like this, and even when we put our cabling in conduit, I would have more than likely done my own layouts.

I see that your cabling goes through a stairwell, however there is no device shown there. I don't think it is code to pull cabling thru a stairwell like that, and even if it is allowed, there is probably a better way for that part of the pull.

mstrlucky74

Yes obviously JF. Just did a few quick to give and idea of how the cabling is run.... I THINK. I just did very quick/rough cable run to give idea.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mstrlucky74

Guys looking for help wtf. Never dealt with LV systems much at all. Geez.

Last edited:

Fire Pro

Occupation
Owner/CEO of Fire Pro
I think it looks good. I think your general idea was just showing the general connection from device to device and it's fine.

stonecutter

Layout

Layout

Normally what I've seen (and I am by no means good this)...but the prints are supposed to be prepared by a properly licensed engineer or architect and approved by the local fire alarm plan review department, i.e. AHJ.
These plans will have the proper information you will need to plan your wiring layout. It should have addresses, loops, circuit identification, etc... for each device. It will be how it's programmed. So, with all the proper information from the print, it will be a little easier for you to "layout" a wiring plan.
From what you have given in the diagram would be fine if all the devices were in that particular circuit.
And yeah, you "daisy chain" them together, thus creating a series type circuit with the proper end of line resistor (Class B).
As far as routing your cables, provide the proper wiring methods located in the NEC Article 760. Also, might want to read up NFPA 72 chapter 12 (2013) for circuit pathways.
Hope this helps.

mstrlucky74

Normally what I've seen (and I am by no means good this)...but the prints are supposed to be prepared by a properly licensed engineer or architect and approved by the local fire alarm plan review department, i.e. AHJ.
These plans will have the proper information you will need to plan your wiring layout. It should have addresses, loops, circuit identification, etc... for each device. It will be how it's programmed. So, with all the proper information from the print, it will be a little easier for you to "layout" a wiring plan.
From what you have given in the diagram would be fine if all the devices were in that particular circuit.
And yeah, you "daisy chain" them together, thus creating a series type circuit with the proper end of line resistor (Class B).
As far as routing your cables, provide the proper wiring methods located in the NEC Article 760. Also, might want to read up NFPA 72 chapter 12 (2013) for circuit pathways.
Hope this helps.
Ty

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you're alternating the devices on two different zones then it appears that you're carrying both zones through out the entire loop. There is probably a better way to do this requiring less cabling. If you want to use your method as a worst case scenario for estimating purposes that would be good but you might be able to change the loop layout in the field and use less cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.