Fireworks Storage Warehouse

Status
Not open for further replies.
NFPA 1124 (Code for the Manufacture, Transportation, and Storage of Fireworks and Pyrotechnic Articles) sez:

5.3.3.2 Where electric lighting is used within a magazine, the installation shall meet the following requirements for hazardous locations...
(4) All wiring from.... shall be installed in rigid conduit.

Without further reading (I make them go up, I don't handle storage), there may be a distinction in storing 1.1g/1.3g (professional display) and 1.4g (consumer) fireworks.

Check the code online, NFPA has free access for reading.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Is a warehouse used to store fireworks considered a hazardous location? I know sprinklers are required but I’m not sure if M/C wiring is allowed.
It is not a "classic" hazardous location as covered in Articles 500 to 5O4. See Section 500.1 Informational Note No.1. There are several NFPA standards that address pyrotechnics but, as noted, NFPA 1124 is the most likely to apply to your application.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
I never gave any thought to it before, but with summer and July 4th fast approaching, I've begun wondering how many ordinary buildings with ordinary (or substandard!) construction & utilities are used for temporary storage of large amounts of fireworks. Here in Detroit, an awful lot of stuff happens on an ad hoc basis.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
I never gave any thought to it before, but with summer and July 4th fast approaching, I've begun wondering how many ordinary buildings with ordinary (or substandard!) construction & utilities are used for temporary storage of large amounts of fireworks. Here in Detroit, an awful lot of stuff happens on an ad hoc basis.

Around here they're mostly tents set up in some parking lot-- with the sides rolled up just waiting for a summer storm to soak everything. :eek:

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Had a guy here who would load his basement up with them every year. He would sell them out of his trunk around July 4. They finally busted him when the neighbors complained. :eek:hmy:

-Hal

Around here they're mostly tents set up in some parking lot-- with the sides rolled up just waiting for a summer storm to soak everything. :eek:

Thus making hazardous waste of the product.

Legal magazines are inspected and inventoried by the BATF and they usually don't have a sense of humor- being a couple of shells over-count is ok, being even one under is, um, a problem. They also choose the most inconvenient times to visit, like when you're loading out multiple shows at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.