Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I see that.:roll:

-Hal

I think it was you, but, surely not.

How dare someone express to another member what they think is, or, is not relevant on a forum filled with so many opinions. :D

JAP>

rlqdot

Occupation
Professional Engineer (multiple states) - building design
I completely agree with the comment that using empty EMT fastened between joists to hang fixtures is a good approach, but just wanted to mention an experience I had some years ago. Contractor did just that, and it was illustrated in the installation instructions for a can light - in fact, the manufacturer punched tabs in the can support plate, bent up to accept EMT. After the fixtures were installed, an Electrical Inspector said all the EMT had to be removed because it was not UL listed as a support product. Personally, I think the inspector had too much coffee that morning, but as we all know, the AHJ has the last word.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I completely agree with the comment that using empty EMT fastened between joists to hang fixtures is a good approach, but just wanted to mention an experience I had some years ago. Contractor did just that, and it was illustrated in the installation instructions for a can light - in fact, the manufacturer punched tabs in the can support plate, bent up to accept EMT. After the fixtures were installed, an Electrical Inspector said all the EMT had to be removed because it was not UL listed as a support product. Personally, I think the inspector had too much coffee that morning, but as we all know, the AHJ has the last word.

Neither is a piece of wood, drywall, a steel beam, concrete slab and just about anything else that electricians use to support light fixtures. That inspector needed MORE coffee to wake up and see the obvious.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
After the fixtures were installed, an Electrical Inspector said all the EMT had to be removed because it was not UL listed as a support product.
Did anybody think to ask him about the product in the link below? Note the last item under "Features"
https://www.erico.com/category.asp?category=R906

Personally, I think the inspector had too much coffee that morning, but as we all know, the AHJ has the last word.
Only if they are not challenged.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.