Fixture whips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Besoeker

I 'ave nae time to be faffing about with such.:)
Do you use Unistrut? It's steel channel and useful for mounting stuff inside electrical panels or for fixing panels to walls, girders ....etc.

Unistrut01.jpg

The spring nut shown on the right inside a section channel is sometimes referred to as a Zebedee
It's from a cartoon character in a long running children's series called The Magic Roundabout.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Do you use Unistrut? It's steel channel and useful for mounting stuff inside electrical panels or for fixing panels to walls, girders ....etc.

Unistrut01.jpg

The spring nut shown on the right inside a section channel is sometimes referred to as a Zebedee
It's from a cartoon character in a long running children's series called The Magic Roundabout.

Well, it seems that Unistrut is one thing we have in common. As time goes on, we get more similar. As for nick name "Zebedee", that's a new one on me. We have many nick names for products on this side of the pond but they vary wildly from area to area. There was a tread here a while back about our crazy nick names for products by area/regions.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
No, I am only stating that "fixture whip" is not an NEC term and the use of the term only leads to confusion as to what it is or is not.

I try my best to try to use terminology in NEC as much as possible - especially when talking to other electrical trade people since the NEC is kind of the bible of the electrical trade (at least for the under 600 volts portion of the trade).
If you use the terminology of the NEC - the NEC becomes easier to use, and others that use the same NEC also are not as confused by terminology.

Sometimes when talking to the customer that terminology means nothing to them and you need to use terms like wires instead of conductors, or plug instead of cord cap, pipe or tubing instead of raceway.

To me "fixture whip" means any wiring method allowed to be run from a junction box to a "luminaire" typically in a length allowed to be unsecured and/or unsupported.

I see we actually agree on all points. The first sentence was why I started off with the caveat about the term and the code. Have a nice day:cool:

kwired

Electron manager

Unistrut01.jpg

Never heard them called Zebedee. Most call them twirl nuts around here. Not really sure what the name given by manufacturers is.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Educational and appreciated so thank you kindly for that.
Not sure that we Brits have quite the same range of electrical jargon that you guys do.
Zebedee might fox you.
:cool:

I 'ave nae time to be faffing about with such.:)

That came around to something I could understand- unistrut, spring nuts.
But the first to bits in the exchange, what was that? Canadian?:huh::)

kwired

Electron manager

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Funny we don't use the term fixture whip at all, it's a fixture tail. :)
Typically made of a 6' piece of 3/8" FMC.

Status
Not open for further replies.