Flexible cord as generator inlet, code violation?

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Greetings all I came across a pole mounted pump service that has a manual generator interlock,
the original installer used what appears to be a #6 SJO hard service cord with a cord cap as the 'inlet' for a 50A generator.
Since a portable generator would be used it meets article 400 as its purpose is to "Connection of utilization equipment to facilitate frequent interchange".
however since I typically see a piece of conduit to a 3R box with an 'inlet' I am wondering if any other code sections prohibit this or is this common in other areas?
My plan is to replace the service and leave everything else as is, unless its a code violation to leave the cord?

Thanks in advance

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Does the use of a cord cap for the "inlet" mean they are using a suppl;y from the generator utilizing a male plug to connect to the cap ??

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
A generator is not “Utilization equipment.” IMO, it’s a violation.
Can you elaborate on that? Seems to fit with the definition to me:
Equipment. A general term, including fittings, devices, appliances, luminaires, apparatus, machinery, and the like used as a
part of, or in connection with, an electrical installation. (CMP-1)
Its a 'optional standby' less than 15kw, probably a small honda, I scanned 702 and did not see anything.
It even mentions 'or other cord and plug type connections' in the article.
It is entirely outside so nothing in a building or structure.
Definitely not the way I do it but I'd need to prove its a code violation to say it has to be fixed.

retirede

Can you elaborate on that? Seems to fit with the definition to me:

Its a 'optional standby' less than 15kw, probably a small honda, I scanned 702 and did not see anything.
It even mentions 'or other cord and plug type connections' in the article.
It is entirely outside so nothing in a building or structure.
Definitely not the way I do it but I'd need to prove its a code violation to say it has to be fixed.

“Utilization equipment” has its own separate definition.

Ohm2

Occupation
Electrician
Greetings all I came across a pole mounted pump service that has a manual generator interlock,
the original installer used what appears to be a #6 SJO hard service cord with a cord cap as the 'inlet' for a 50A generator.
Since a portable generator would be used it meets article 400 as its purpose is to "Connection of utilization equipment to facilitate frequent interchange".
however since I typically see a piece of conduit to a 3R box with an 'inlet' I am wondering if any other code sections prohibit this or is this common in other areas?
My plan is to replace the service and leave everything else as is, unless its a code violation to leave the cord?

Thanks in advance
I’m not clear on the installation but if it’s used in place of fixed wiring then it’s a violation per 400.12 ( 2020).

Ohm2

Occupation
Electrician
This might not be 'utilization equipment', but it is a receptacle inlet pendant. So I think the article 400 permission is from 400.10(A)1

IMHO the issues will be proper cord support and strain relief.
how you figure it’s a receptacle?

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
That's a violation of 406.7(B), as well as stupid to require the use of a "suicide cord".

"No receptacle shall be installed so as to require the insertion of an energized attachment plug as its source of supply."

Cheers, Wayne
Its connected to a breaker interlock so the cord cap could never be energized.

kwired

Electron manager
That's a violation of 406.7(B), as well as stupid to require the use of a "suicide cord".

"No receptacle shall be installed so as to require the insertion of an energized attachment plug as its source of supply."

Cheers, Wayne
If he has what I'm thinking and what I have seen many times before there is no suicide cord.

Cord with a an attachment plug to plug into a receptacle on a generator, other end lands on the "generator terminals" of a transfer switch. It can not back feed the exposed blades on the cord cap because of same reasons it can't back feed a permanently connected generator - that is what the transfer switch is for.

Whether or not you can use said pigtail vs an actual "inlet" I think would come down to some fine technicality or listing issue otherwise I see no problem if a proper transfer method is applied so you can not back feed from normal power.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
If he has what I'm thinking and what I have seen many times before there is no suicide cord.

Cord with a an attachment plug to plug into a receptacle on a generator, other end lands on the "generator terminals" of a transfer switch. It can not back feed the exposed blades on the cord cap because of same reasons it can't back feed a permanently connected generator - that is what the transfer switch is for.

Whether or not you can use said pigtail vs an actual "inlet" I think would come down to some fine technicality or listing issue otherwise I see no problem if a proper transfer method is applied so you can not back feed from normal power.
Thats it exactly.
Sorry I did not get a good photo of it and its a pretty far drive away.
Its so the farmer can still run the irrigation pump if the utility cuts out.
There is no way the cord would be energized, unless its plugged in to a generator.

kwired

Electron manager
Its connected to a breaker interlock so the cord cap could never be energized.

you replied as I was typing. I see you pretty much have what I was expecting. I've seen this setup a lot and even made many of them up myself.

common on rural services here where POCO has option for a double throw switch at their metering equipment for generator connection.

They can install these - we can't if we are following NEC as they are not listed units. I have one on my place. POCO can provide it for less than I can provide a listed transfer switch. If you want ATS you are out of luck with POCO having anything to do with it though.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
how you figure it’s a receptacle?

My understanding of the term receptacle for electrical use includes both inlets and outlets. Unfortunately I don't think the term is in article 100 definitions.

See for example https://store.leviton.com/products/...lade-industrial-grade-grounding-gray-5278-fwp

Put in on the end of a flexible cord attached at the other end, and it is a pendant.

I don't think this is limited to devices in boxes; I think a cord cap would work just as well as a pendant.

-Jonathan

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
That's it exactly.
So in the OP, you meant "attachment plug" (male) rather than cord cap/connector (female)?

And the answer in post #5 should be "no," rather than the "yes" you posted? The generator side of the connection is a receptacle, not a male plug?

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
My understanding of the term receptacle for electrical use includes both inlets and outlets. Unfortunately I don't think the term is in article 100 definitions.
Sure it is, from the 2017 NEC (for ease of cut and paste):

Attachment Plug (Plug Cap) (Plug). A device that, by insertion in a receptacle, establishes a connection between the conductors of the attached flexible cord and the conductors connected permanently to the receptacle.

Receptacle. A contact device installed at the outlet for the connection of an attachment plug, or for the direct connection of electrical utilization equipment designed to mate with the corresponding contact device. A single receptacle is a single contact device with no other contact device on the same yoke. A multiple receptacle is two or more contact devices on the same yoke.

So attachment plugs are male, and receptacles are female, in that the attachment plug is inserted into a receptacle.

Cheers, Wayne

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
So in the OP, you meant "attachment plug" (male) rather than cord cap/connector (female)?

And the answer in post #5 should be "no," rather than the "yes" you posted? The generator side of the connection is a receptacle, not a male plug?

Cheers, Wayne
Woops yes good catch sorry for the confusion and terminology mix up on my part.
Its a male attachment plug on a SJO cord, similar to a RV cord that enters the loadcenter.
On the generator is the receptacle.