Flexible cord as generator inlet, code violation?

GarwoodV6

Occupation
30 year commercial Electrician
I used to put this arrangement for residential portable generator connection via mechanical interlock. If the panel is inside an unfinished room, I would wire a length of SO cord into the side of the panel, hang it up in the room, and feed the cord through the wall via a pvc bushing or sleeve to a weatherproof box and extra-deep in-use device cover to house and protect the male cord cap. Open the cover, pull the cord out, and - voila!
If the panel is outside, you can put the cord into a cabinet or under a cover to protect it from the weather. Either way, the interlock keeps the male cord cap prongs from ever becoming a sefety hazard.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
He specified that it was an inlet, NOT a receptacle,
That's that the part of the OP that wasn't clear. The term used was "cord cap," which I took to mean "cord connector" which is the female cord end. And post #5 by the OP (incorrectly) confirmed that the generator cord had a male end on the building side.

But as was clarified later in the thread, the generator cord has a female end on the building side, and the cord fixed to the interlock has a male end. Searching the NEC, it only uses the term "cord cap" once, in 406.1, where it is parenthetically defined as an attachment plug or male cord end.

Cheers, Wayne