Flexible cord as generator inlet, code violation?

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Ok, I spent more time reviewing the definitions.

What this thing called, and is that found in the article 100 definitions:
1726080135214.png

I've always called the above thing a 'receptacle inlet', but the article 100 definition of a receptacle specifically places it at an _outlet_.

I think we all agree that having one of these un-named devices in a box connected to a transfer switch is the _standard_ approach for connecting a small temporary generator to a building electrical system.

IMHO having the same pin configuration on the end of a flexible cord would qualify as a pendant, but now I'm having trouble finding the definitions which fit. On the other hand, the above un-named device is also not in article 100, so perhaps no temporary generator installation is code compliant. (I guess that makes for a code complaint.)

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
What this thing called, and is that found in the article 100 definitions:
It's called an inlet, which isn't found in the Article 100 definitions, but is my inference from the usage in the NEC, which you can see from a word search. Inlet : Receptacle :: Cord Connector : Attachment Plug.

Cheers, Wayne

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I see this type of setup in my area also on the farms and I'm not a big fan of it.

10' piece of cord with a male cap on the end of it coming out of the transfer switch rolled up and hanging on the side of a pole ready for a generator to pull up so it can be plugged into it.

Just looks trashy to me, but hey, they aren't concerned with looks when they have 100 thousand or so birds without power.

JAP>

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
10' piece of cord with a male cap on the end of it coming out of the transfer switch rolled up and hanging on the side of a pole ready for a generator to pull up so it can be plugged into it.
I did that at a customer's request once. I put a garden-hose holder on the wall, out of the weather.

Saved the cost of the inlet and the female cord end, and having to insert it in the dark and the rain.

Ohm2

Occupation
Electrician
My understanding of the term receptacle for electrical use includes both inlets and outlets. Unfortunately I don't think the term is in article 100 definitions.

See for example https://store.leviton.com/products/...lade-industrial-grade-grounding-gray-5278-fwp here I’ll

Put in on the end of a flexible cord attached at the other end, and it is a pendant.

I don't think this is limited to devices in boxes; I think a cord cap would work just as well as a pendant.
cord caps are

-Jonathan
1. Cord Cap —This is the male part of a connection, usually attached to the end of a power cord. It plugs into a receptacle to establish an electrical connection. Cord caps are commonly seen on appliances and devices that need to be plugged into an outlet.

2. Receptacle- This is the female part of the connection. It is typically mounted on a wall or panel and provides power by allowing a cord cap (plug) to be inserted. Receptacles are commonly used in homes and businesses to provide access to electrical circuits.

3. A generator inlet…(often called a power inlet box) is an electrical device that allows an external power source, such as a portable generator, to be connected to a building's electrical system. It has male prongs (also called pins) where the generator’s power cord plugs in.

Last edited:

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Male Cord Cap, Female Cord Cap, Male Cord End, Female Cord End, Connector, Plug, Inlet, Outlet, Receptacle, Twistlock, Straight Blade, 120,,,,, 220,,,, whatever it takes. :)

Once you've been in the field long enough you just know.

Jap>

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Greetings all I came across a pole mounted pump service that has a manual generator interlock,
the original installer used what appears to be a #6 SJO hard service cord with a cord cap as the 'inlet' for a 50A generator.
Since a portable generator would be used it meets article 400 as its purpose is to "Connection of utilization equipment to facilitate frequent interchange".
however since I typically see a piece of conduit to a 3R box with an 'inlet' I am wondering if any other code sections prohibit this or is this common in other areas?
My plan is to replace the service and leave everything else as is, unless its a code violation to leave the cord?

Thanks in advance
I don't see anything wrong with what you are describing.

kwired

Electron manager
I see this type of setup in my area also on the farms and I'm not a big fan of it.

Just looks trashy to me, but hey, they aren't concerned with looks when they have 100 thousand or so birds without power.

JAP>
Is common on farms around here. Has some advantages as mentioned. Also those cords tend to deteriorate being out in the sunlight and isn't really noticed when it is something seldom used.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I did that at a customer's request once. I put a garden-hose holder on the wall, out of the weather.

Saved the cost of the inlet and the female cord end, and having to insert it in the dark and the rain.
Not to mention you only have to remember where the generator is when you need it.....;)

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
A portable generator is not fixed. Of course, you can use a flex cord to run power from the generator to a fixed inlet box mounted on the building
In this case there is no 'inlet box' the cord runs into the pole mounted panel and terminated on a breaker. The breaker is interlocked so the male end of the cord can't be energized. You just coil the cord up like a hose and store it next to the panel. It looks like the cord you'd use on a RV, a 4 conductor #6 AWG.
I had just never seen it done that way.

retirede

In this case there is no 'inlet box' the cord runs into the pole mounted panel and terminated on a breaker. The breaker is interlocked so the male end of the cord can't be energized. You just coil the cord up like a hose and store it next to the panel. It looks like the cord you'd use on a RV, a 4 conductor #6 AWG.
I had just never seen it done that way.

IMO, this does not qualify as any of the “uses permitted” in 400.10(A), and thus a violation of the 400.12 prohibition against use as a substitute for fixed wiring.

retirede

What about 400.10(A)(7) "Prevention of the transmission of noise or vibration"?

Cheers, Wayne

The cord does not have to be permanently wired in order to do that. A chapter 3 method to the wall-mounted inlet for cord attachment accomplishes that.
The only reason to have a permanently wired cord is so it doesn’t get misplaced.

Again, that’s just my opinion of it. AHJ has the final say.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
The cord does not have to be permanently wired in order to do that. A chapter 3 method to the wall-mounted inlet for cord attachment accomplishes that.
Sure, but where does Article 400 regulate how the cord is connected at the panel end? I'm not seeing anything mandating the use of an inlet rather than hard-wiring that end.

Cheers, Wayne

retirede

What makes this inlet cable not is a 'pendant' allowed by 400.10(A)1 ?

Since “pendant” is not defined in article 100, I’d have to agree with you. We should be able to run cable anywhere we want - just call it a “pendant.”

Although I’d always thought of a pendant as being hung from above with a grip.