Floating ground in Bathroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

ee1993

New User
I am a homeowner and retired RF Engineer, not an electrician. We bought a house built in 1955 that we have been remodeling in stages over the past five years. The first ting I had done was to remove the old three phase service and install new 200A service with new large Square D Homeline panel and new sub-panel for the HVAC. The original wiring is 12 -2 with no ground wire fed from an obsolete GE sub panel with no separate grounding bus. I di have new Square D breaker installed in the sub panel. We are now close to completion on a kitchen and bath remodel the went down to the studs with entirely new plumbing and electrical. The kitchen and laundry circuits were removed from the GE panel and now fed from the new main paned with all new 12-2 Romex. However, although the bathroom ware rewired, th electrician used the existing feed from the GE panel, thus no ground. The light fixtures and outlets all have ground wires connected together but this ground is just floating. When I bring mu induction tester to the vanity fixture it beeps, even if the wall switch is off. He installed standard duplex outlet just outside the bathroom connected to this floating ground. Apparently enough coupling from ground to neutral exists to allow the ground test neon light to illuminate in a tester so the circuit read good. A home run to the bathroom would have been easy when the walls were open, other new runs were installed within a few feet. Don’t know how they missed this because I told them at the start that I didn’t want shortcuts and wanted a real ground in the bathroom. My electrician is saying that this is OK, nothing to be concerned about and that I am just being obsessive. I am asking here because I am not satisfied with what my contractor and electrician are telling me. I really don’t want to rat him out to the inspector so, if he will not correct this, I’ll try to route a ground wire to the new dryer outlet on the other side of the (concrete block) wall. Any though from the experts here?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
It's next to impossible to evaluate what you have described without being onsite. Further more, forum rules do not allow us to give advice to persons outside of the electrical industry.

I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:
  • Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals

* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

Status
Not open for further replies.