Floor outlet in front of a movable partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

liverpool

I have a project where the electrical contractor installed a floor outlet in front of a rolling full height window. The engineering plans show the floor outlet at the non movable portion of the window. However, the architect flipped the window configuration in the field which resulted in the floor outlet now residing approximately 18 inches away from the movable window partition :blink:. The movable window partition opens to a Juliet balcony (i.e.: can not have human access and is just for show). The wall spacing still woks for the other outlets (less than 6 feet). Are there any issues with this code wise that you can point to me that clearly shows that it is a violation? or can it be left as is.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Without seeing the floor plan with all outlets shown, I am inclined to say it can be left as-is. The non-moveable section of the window does not have to have an outlet in front of it. The moveable section is not forbidden to have an outlet in front of it. But it does count as wall space, so the 6' rule in either direction applies to that area. If the spacing works for the entire wall space, then there is no violation.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
IMO if the wall spacing of the outlets work without the floor outlet than you are good. There is no requirement to have an outlet at the removable part.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Dennis I would say it is compliant even if you have to take credit for the outlet in front of the moveable window section.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
IMO if the wall spacing of the outlets work without the floor outlet than you are good. There is no requirement to have an outlet at the removable part.
But as long as it is within 18" of the non-wall, could it still count as part of the required outlets for the fixed section and the real wall? A cord running from it off to either side would not cross a "doorway".
A good question for the AHJ, as represented by the inspector.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Dennis I would say it is compliant even if you have to take credit for the outlet in front of the moveable window section.

I agree. There is nothing that says you can't have one there. And as Golddigger said if it is 18" from the wall then it would cover 6' of wall space also but I understand that it is already cover by the wall outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.