For recessed lighting - what does the IC mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjp_ne_elec

I haven't installed recessed lighting in over 10 years. and in looking trough the Halo Lighting site, I noticed housings - some were I see IC and Non-IC versions.

I know that you need clearance between insulation, but when they list a clearance, does that distance also specify distance from floor joists, etc.? I have a job I'm looking at with some recessed lighting that is for a drop ceiling in a basement.

Thanks,

Brett

Last edited:

Jim W in Tampa

The I C cans have a thermal protector that opens circuit if can gets too hot.Although not always needed i suggest using them.Besure it actually say i c rated as some look as they do but are not rated.

bjp_ne_elec

Well - I'm relieved - I thought it was only me. I actually felt a little dumb asking that question - but how else ya going to learn.

That's why this site is so great - someone's always willing to jump in and give an answer.

Thanks,

Brett

CBL

I was told "IC" meant "In Contact" and it could be in contact with the insullation... My source is a guy at the Home Depot, so take it for what it's worth...

big vic

Because of supply and demand the IC cans are usually cheaper than the Non IC

In residential work the only place I will use a Non IC can is for heat lamps in a bathroom

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
According to Lightolier, the IC rating means "insulated ceiling" rated. The fixture can be completely embedded or covered with insulation.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
infinity said:
All recessed fixtures have thermal cutouts, not just the IC type.

Could you provide an explanation of what the difference in thermal cutout is versus IC rated?

Also, if what you say is true, then recessed fixtures that are non-IC rated, still have thermal cutout?

I'm confused by your statement....and ready to learn.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
kingpb said:
Could you provide an explanation of what the difference in thermal cutout is versus IC rated?

Also, if what you say is true, then recessed fixtures that are non-IC rated, still have thermal cutout?

I'm confused by your statement....and ready to learn.

King, If you look at the photo below you'll see a thermal cutout. It's the black device mounted to the junction box. If the surrounding air reaches a high temperature the cutout will open the circuit and shut off the light to prevent a potential fire from overheating. This is the reason that non-IC fixtures need to keep the insulation at least 3" away from the fixture.

pp_c4p20d_c4120.jpg

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
I understand what a thermal cutout does, what I'm not understanding is if it is a non-IC fixture, then what is the purpose of the thermal cutout if the insulation has to be 3" away from the fixture anyway?

sparky_magoo

I've examined some IC & non-IC rated cans by the same manufacturer. I only difference I could see was that the IC rated can had a sticker stating 65 watt lamp max.

JohnJ0906

I think the 2 differences between IC and non-IC is a) Location of the thermal protector. on the ones my company uses they are on the top of the can (IC) or on the side(non-IC). b) max bulb wattage. Ofcourse, I'm speculating a bit!:D

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
JW:

Are you sure the guy running through the hotel wasn't thirsty and yelling "Hi-C, Hi-C"??

I always thought IC stood for insulation contact. If you read the cut sheet, it says something like "rated for direct contact with insulation".

IC cans are designed to keep from getting too hot. They often have a lower rating for the lamp size to keep them from getting too hot. They have a thermal cutout in case someone installs a 150W lamp in a fixture rated for 60W max.

Non-IC cans also have a thermal cutout. That way, if some DIY'er burries them in insulation, they don't start a fire, and the DIY'er can't sue.

So the cut outs make both versions almost idiot proof.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.