foreign object in conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

waltsyd

Inactive, Email Never Verified
A 1.25" screw fell into a vertical piece of pvc schedule 40 conduit with four #4 conductors. It went in about three or four feet, judging from the sound. So I'm wondering whether this screw has to be gotten out, and how to do it! Is it a safety issue? Seems unlikely that it would ever abrade the insulation enough to cause a problem. What do you think?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
If it just fell inside (i.e., was not screwed into the side), it poses no danger. You can leave it alone. You might do more damage trying to extract it.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
If it really bothers you, the auto parts stores sell thin telescoping magnets. You might get lucky. Are you planning on pulling in more conductors next to the existing.

Welcome to the Forum.

Last edited:

big john

If there are no new wires going in that pipe and it isn't subject to vibration, I wouldn't think twice about leaving it. If you really think it has to be gotten out, what about just taping a rare-earth magnet onto a fish-tape and sliding it on in there?

-John

wireguru

me, i would at least make an attempt to get it out. I too would attach a rare earth magnet to the end of a fishtape or a piece of #10 and thread it into the pipe.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

cadpoint

He's how I'd go after it!

Snake the wire of a fish tape through a torpedo level, bend a hood, U could even
use the wire to be a bumper guard!
Then hook it together and tape it together, magnet side out.

Don't jiggle the wires!

Work it down and listen for the interaction, slowly try rolling the tape and retact.
Or, continue fishing, or just leave it! :D

A 1.25" screw fell into a vertical piece of pvc schedule 40 conduit with four #4 conductors. It went in about three or four feet, judging from the sound. So I'm wondering whether this screw has to be gotten out, and how to do it! Is it a safety issue? Seems unlikely that it would ever abrade the insulation enough to cause a problem. What do you think?

I would definitely make an attempt at removing this screw. Most installations are for the long term. Leaving the screw whereever it may have landed is a long term issue.

P.S.
Loads that are ever changing, and start-stop of loads all add to the conductors possibly moving, even if ever so slightly. Over years this may spell the doom of this installation.

Eldan

If I may make a suggestion... instead of fishing a magnet in, you may be able to slide a strong magnet slowly along the outside of the conduit and drag the screw along.

Status
Not open for further replies.