FPE panel changeout

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

Greg Swartz said:
I don't know how the eastern states get away with not using conduit for protection of their service entrance feeders.

We aren't "getting away" with anything as Bob pointed out because SE cable is a valid NEC method. I noticed that you guys out west are conduit crazy when it comes to services but that doesn't mean that those of us who use cable are installing a substandard method.

brian john

In the few cases where I have seen SEC damage issues, conduit would have been damaged as well, truck pulled it down (hit triplex), back hoe hit it, tree brought it down (hit triplex)

brian john

I have nothing against residential, just letting you know that recent experience is limited. I actually enjoyed doing new house work and I learned TONS of stuff when I did residential service, some of the best trouble shooting techniques I have learned came from those years.

frizbeedog

iwire said:
It drives me nuts when people do not listen to the OPs questions and responses.

Just assume the rest of the service is fine and the only reason for the replacement is the fact the person does not want the FPE panel anymore.

All the rest is between the customer, the EC and the inspector.

Thank you. It needed to be said. Because the Sky Is Falling. :roll:

mdshunk

I used a good many of those retrofit panels on one particular job, and few otherwise. The job where I used a pile of them was a midrise apartment building. The existing flush panels were piped in, feeder and branch circuits. Certainly they could have been changed out conventionally, but doing so would have also involved drywall repair and painting. The kits were not only a tremendous labor savings, but they prevented the requisite patchwork and painting involved in changing out a flush piped-in panel. The panel interior was about 3x the cost of a CH panel alone, and the cover was about double. I'm not sure if they offer the retrofit in a bolt-on breaker version or not, but I fully intend to find out next time I have a flush commercial panel to change. The couple other times I used the kit was when the existing panel was flush in fancy woodwork that I'd rather not fuss around with. I'd say that these retrofit kits are not for day-to-day changeouts, but they come into their own for special occasions.

mdshunk said:
I used a good many of those retrofit panels on one particular job, and few otherwise. The job where I used a pile of them was a midrise apartment building. The existing flush panels were piped in, feeder and branch circuits. Certainly they could have been changed out conventionally, but doing so would have also involved drywall repair and painting. The kits were not only a tremendous labor savings, but they prevented the requisite patchwork and painting involved in changing out a flush piped-in panel. The panel interior was about 3x the cost of a CH panel alone, and the cover was about double. I'm not sure if they offer the retrofit in a bolt-on breaker version or not, but I fully intend to find out next time I have a flush commercial panel to change. The couple other times I used the kit was when the existing panel was flush in fancy woodwork that I'd rather not fuss around with. I'd say that these retrofit kits are not for day-to-day changeouts, but they come into their own for special occasions.

As I was reading yesterday, they do come in commercial flavors now, up to 200A 3 phase.

I agree they have their application, and I only intend to use it in 1 scenario.

I would gladly pay 3x the amount if I can get a changeout in 2 hours... 3 panels in a day @ $1100... For 1 guy. Yeah I can handle that...

Now to get the rest of the work (LBs, Meters, Service Entrance wiring...)
Greg

K2X

Greg Swartz said:
Satcom,
In Colorado Springs, FPE panels have a special status... they are considered a "damaged panel." When replacing them, assuming there is NO UPGRADE, we can do a 1 - for - 1 change out. No grounding issues, no bonding issues, no wire changing issues, nothing! Straight 1-for-1.

I learned this last year when I told the inspector, and showed him a letter from the HO's insurance agency requiring it. He told me that if it were not so, he would have required.... (long laundry list)

So, lesson learned... $1100 is bottom line price for change outs. There is a company here in COS who (on their permit price) says they are charging $600. I don't know how, that is less than my costs before advertising... I think they are lying on their permit to lower their permit price. That is a huge price to pay if they get caught though...

I looked at April's permit costs, and most companies were charging $1200 - $1500 for panel upgrades. A couple were as high as $2400...

Greg, I'm in Colorados Springs. Where would i find that "damaged panel" status/rule? Im not sure my boss knows that rule. Or maybe he does but I'd like to be prepared in case it comes up. Thanks..

Status
Not open for further replies.