FPN, Kleins, & Hole Hogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last Leg

Did you notice we have no more Fine Print Notes? They are 'Informational Note"s. I grew up with "Kleins". I knew very quickly they were side cutters, but to me they will always be Kleins. Continuing Education. My first year in the trade, I did about 5 months of residential - those hefty drill motors with nail eaters will alway be 'Hole Hogs'. I always picture a Carpenter as a fine craftsman who loves wood. Early on, I spent a month trying to find a copy of 'NFPA 70', which was required to have a copy of on the Job Site - Eureka! - that was just the Code Book - NEC. Out with the old and in with the new. Anyone ever have to use a brace 'n bit? Maybe we can share. New Year - feeling a bit nostalgic.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Turning 50 this year?;)

Monday I was at the supply house and asked for madison clamps and a j-jr. Got a blank look from the new kid.

jumper

I actually like the "informational note" over "fine print note", maybe less problems to explain that it is not enforceable.

However, I am still struggling with luminaire, I will probably say fixture till the day I die.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The code is complicated enough and there are hundreds of changes in each code cycle. FPN has worked for decades I see no reason to have another useless change. Why try to fix something that isn't broken and make thing more complex?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
... Anyone ever have to use a brace 'n bit? Maybe we can share. New Year - feeling a bit nostalgic.
A brace and bit was on the required journeyman tool list for my local when I started (73) and it remained on the list until the late 80s. I have never seen one used on the job.

kwired

Electron manager
90.5 C already had this covered

(C) Explanatory Material. Explanatory material, such as references to other standards, references to related sections of this Code, or information related to a Code rule, is included in this Code in the form of fine print notes (FPNs). Fine print notes are informational only and are not enforceable as requirements of this Code.

When most people are talking 'Kleins' they are referring to linesmans pliers around here. Side cutters are a little smaller and slightly different design version of them also called diagonal cutters or 'dikes'.

Anyone remember the "yankee screwdrivers" or a real handsaw with sharpening files and "saw set".

jumper

The code is complicated enough and there are hundreds of changes in each code cycle. FPN has worked for decades I see no reason to have another useless change. Why try to fix something that isn't broken and make thing more complex?

90.5 C already had this covered

(C) Explanatory Material. Explanatory material, such as references to other standards, references to related sections of this Code, or information related to a Code rule, is included in this Code in the form of fine print notes (FPNs). Fine print notes are informational only and are not enforceable as requirements of this Code.

This is why I like the change, from the substantiation in the ROP:

?Fine print? refers to a type size, rather than clearly portraying its advisory
nature. The NEC contains notes that are enforceable requirements of the code,
such as table notes. ?Fine print? in some legal documents does not necessarily
make the text unenforceable requirements. This change will make the advisory
nature of these notes clear.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
A brace and bit was on the required journeyman tool list for my local when I started (73) and it remained on the list until the late 80s. I have never seen one used on the job.
I have, many times, but not in many years, other than to show someone.

Anyone remember the "yankee screwdrivers" or a real handsaw with sharpening files and "saw set".
I do, especially the Yankee, which I called a "push-push" when I was a kid.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We had to use a brace and Bit to drill the through bolt hole in the tops of utility poles back in "A" school.
I did that once.

In the middle of a lumber yard, on top of a 32' wood extension ladder, stood atop one stack of wood on top of another, held up by a fork lift at full extension, with a doubled-up length of 12-2 NM around me and the pole to lean back on.

I did that once.

John120/240

And you lived to tell about it! I now look back at stupid things that we did

in high school. 10 years ago Used to stand on the top step of a 14 ft step ladder, not any more.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I have, many times, but not in many years, other than to show someone.

I do, especially the Yankee, which I called a "push-push" when I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post

My dad passed away about 3 yrs. ago and last year I was cleaning out his garage and found a couple of brace-n-bits, a yankee screwdriver, block and tackle, saw set and sharpener and some other old tools. I have actually used them some and have seen my Dad use them a lot.:D

G0049

I did that once.

In the middle of a lumber yard, on top of a 32' wood extension ladder, stood atop one stack of wood on top of another, held up by a fork lift at full extension, with a doubled-up length of 12-2 NM around me and the pole to lean back on.

I did that once.

Larry,
A perfect story to be in the "Continuing Education" thread. The things that don't kill you, make you smarter! :D

M_J_C

New Guys

New Guys

I was just doing some remodel work on a 40+ year commercial building and had to stop and explain to the younger guys what was securing the conduit to the block wall. "wrap straps" and "cut nails" There was also evidence of an attempt to bore through a poured column with a "star drill". These were what we used, because that was what was available. We might have had one chipping hammer per job, not one per truck like we do today, and tapcons weren't invented yet.

kbsparky

I started out in this trade using a brace and bit. Took awhile to drill a hole when you had to set it in ratchet mode, drilling up against a wall. Some of that old yellow pine was a bear to drill through, too!

On my 20th birthday, my folks gave me a Craftsman "Yankee" screwdriver. I used that thing for years, literally wore it out! We didn't have the battery operated drills/drivers in those days like we do now. But that yankee was in fact a "cordless" tool!! :) I still have it in my retired tools tool box.

I drilled out my share of holes using a no-bounce hammer and star chisel, too

Status
Not open for further replies.