Freelancing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayanees

Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Master Electrician
I suggest getting proficient at power systems analysis and set yourself up for doing Power Studies. The Study generates a report of device settings and arc flash labels which are required in the electrical world, particularly in data centers where you mentioned you had experience. And doing power studies is more lucrative than doing AutoCad.

I did just that 35+ years ago, and when I felt proficient at doing the work, I sent flyers to electrical contractors and engineering firms selling my services.
I was lucky enough to work for Scott Paper Company at the time and one of my responsibilities was to do a Power Study on the plant. They let me buy an SKM power systems analysis package with my money, understanding that I was going to do side jobs, and then they sent me to the training class to learn the package.

Get the FE, then the PE, and good luck in your career.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I'm guessing you're probably young, and words morph over time, but I would caution against calling your side work a hustle.

It's really not a nice word, and you might run into older people who don't use it like you do View attachment 2562999
That's an obsolete reference. "Side hustle" is widely accepted terminology that means the same thing as the older term "moonlighting".

Status
Not open for further replies.