Fuse panel change with arc faults

Status
Not open for further replies.

bzzt

Occupation
wirer
Can this be changed out so that afi/gfi breakers could be installed? Customer wants 3wire receps and

nice work to the old timers. Hopefully they had a Covid mask to protect from the asbestos lined panel
c094ec0c61f4dd04f9d316a7f928601d.jpg

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Is it just me or do I see 15, 20s and what I think is one 30A fuse on wire that’s all the same size?
Anything is doable, how much money is the question. And getting that panel junked is going to be a lot of trouble if it’s done right with the abatement & containment costs.

bzzt

Occupation
wirer
Don’t care about asbestos, has nothing to do with NEC. Been swimming in nasty attics since 1997. The common neutral is where I am having a problem. If money isn’t an object what’s the best way you guys see?

The goal is to get breakers and grounded receps in a few locations. Can NM still be tied into k&t with afci protection?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bzzt

Occupation
wirer
homeowner has been finishing areas and painting. i hate telling them the bad news. I've only seen 3-wire afci breakers. I interested to hear if anyone has an afci solution?

bzzt

Occupation
wirer
Complete Rewire is the best solution. I understand there are AFCI available that will supposedly work with common neutrals. I have not used them and do not know the brand name.

Will they actually work on N&T? IDK.
Have you seen AFCI that work on more than 3-wire circuits?

Buck Parrish

homeowner has been finishing areas and painting. i hate telling them the bad news. I've only seen 3-wire afci breakers. I interested to hear if anyone has an afci solution?
I've had that happen numerous times. They've painted and finished the walls then call the electrician . Ask them if they have saved any matching paint?

kwired

Electron manager
Don’t care about asbestos, has nothing to do with NEC. Been swimming in nasty attics since 1997. The common neutral is where I am having a problem. If money isn’t an object what’s the best way you guys see?

The goal is to get breakers and grounded receps in a few locations. Can NM still be tied into k&t with afci protection?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not a fan of GE panels and breakers, but their AFCI's don't have a GFP component and would work with common neutrals.

You may not have as much common neutral on this install as some have. I'd bet every other fuse in there is fusing a neutral conductor and is not interconnected to other circuits, on original installation anyway, add-on's or modifications that came later is where there might be issues.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Complete Rewire is the best solution. I understand there are AFCI available that will supposedly work with common neutrals. I have not used them and do not know the brand name.

Will they actually work on N&T? IDK.
Yeah, I wouldn't touch that without a complete rewire. I wouldn't want to live there. Does the customer think that AFCIs are a solution for not replacing that old wiring?

-Hal

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
Can this be changed out so that afi/gfi breakers could be installed? Customer wants 3wire receps and

nice work to the old timers. Hopefully they had a Covid mask to protect from the asbestos lined panel
c094ec0c61f4dd04f9d316a7f928601d.jpg
Where are the neutrals for the branch circuits?

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Looks like the neutrals have their own fuse holder, placed above each energized line circuit.

On each 4-fuse block, 1st open neutral could create an MWBC, the 2nd open neutral could create Line-Line Voltages

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.