garage ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
How high must a garage celling be to staple romax to it ? ( 2011 code) ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
It is not specified in the code. It is up to the inspector to decide if it is subject to physical damage which is open to interpretation. Some say above 8'. Some say higher. Some say it is always subject to damage. If you want to mitigate that, you could install wooden guard boards on either side and he'd probably consider it protected from damage. Or sleeve it. Or run it between some pipes.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It is not specified in the code. It is up to the inspector to decide if it is subject to physical damage which is open to interpretation. Some say above 8'. Some say higher. Some say it is always subject to damage. If you want to mitigate that, you could install wooden guard boards on either side and he'd probably consider it protected from damage. Or sleeve it. Or run it between some pipes.
Might as well run mc.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
How high must a garage celling be to staple romax to it ? ( 2011 code) ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
To state the obvious, if the ceiling is sheetrocked, staples will not hold.

VirutalElectrician

Occupation
Sparky - Trying to be retired
Unless you are running it right against the roof joists, not sure why you'd ever install wiring on the ceiling side instead of the attic side. It would make ever wanting to finish the ceiling a real pain in the....

My inspector will never pass horizontal unprotected Romex in a garage or storage building at any height. I thought this odd at first, but after some thought, I had to agree with him. Even in pole barns with 14' side walls, I see people leaning boards up against the walls, so even at that height, unprotected Romex running along the top board would be subject to damage.

nickelec

Did you really buy AC and not MC.... I have not seen AC for sale anywhere in years
Yes absolutely, very commonly sold by most supply houses through NYC . Good old steel AC-90 is what we wire majority of our homes with here

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.