garage circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaun

Does the branch circuits in the garage have to be 15a or 20a circuits. Or 14awg or 12awg? Also would it depend on whether or not the garage is being finished or unfinished?

shaun

Re: garage circuits

Thanks Ryan, for some reason I was thinking that garage circuits had to be on a 20A circuit. By the way do you know what code that is?

ryan_618

There is no code section. Thats why you can do it. Generally speaking, the code doesn't tell you what you are allowed to do. It tells you waht you can not do or what you are required to do.

Your welcome :)

bphgravity

I do not believe there is specific section of the code that specifies the size of the branch circuit rating of a garage circuit in a dwelling. So basically, the code does not prohibit the circuit from being either 15 or 20 amp. Refer to 210.11(C), 210.19, and 210.23 for branch circuit information and circuit ratings. :)

Article 220.3B1 applies to this question for purpose of calculating the minimum load for a gargage. Wheather you want to split up that load on 15 or 20 amp circuits is up to you.

Remember this applies to residential occupancies, and that commercial garages would require 20 amp circuits.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Originally posted by cormier_paul:
Remember this applies to residential occupancies, and that commercial garages would require 20 amp circuits.
I am not familar with the code rule that requires a 20 ampere circuit for commerical garages. Can you post the section, thanks.

pierre

I run across a lot of people who believe that in other than dwellings, that the wiring has to be 12 AWG protected by 20 amp OCPDs. That is usually a local code or a specification of the job, but it is not an NEC requirement.

Pierre

jeff43222

Originally posted by shaun:
Does the branch circuits in the garage have to be 15a or 20a circuits. Or 14awg or 12awg? Also would it depend on whether or not the garage is being finished or unfinished?
There is another section of code you might want to consider. If the garage is detached, there are some added requirements for circuits/feeders. I believe it's section 240 of the code (I don't have the handbook in front of me). Anyway, it's the article called "outside feeders and branch circuits".

Within that article, there is a section that says if a detached building has one circuit, it must be at least 15A; if there are two circuits, the feeder must be at least 30A; in all other cases, the feeder size must be at least 60 A.

Where I live, detached garages are the norm, so this comes up a lot.

-Jeff

bphgravity

Hello Jeff,

The section I believe you are refering to is in Article 230.79. Article 225 covers outside branch circuits and feeders. :cool:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

No. But it would be a good design choice. So too, in my opinion, would be to use #12 and 20 amp breakers, even if a #14/15 amp is allowed. Note, "design choice," not code requirement. The trick is to convince the owner/builder that it is a good idea, and worth the extra costs.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Within that article, there is a section that says if a detached building has one circuit, it must be at least 15A; if there are two circuits, the feeder must be at least 30A; in all other cases, the feeder size must be at least 60 A.
Sounds like you're referring to 225.39 Rating of Disconnects. I don't see how this would apply to the garage feeder size. This Article is for the sizing of the required disconnecting means not the feeder.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Note that 225.39 does not require a minimum circuit size. It only specifies the minimum rating of the disconnect. It does not address the size of the circuit that feeds that disconnect.
Don

OneWay

Tom, is a Master Journeyman similar to that of a Journeyman Apprentice?

Master Electrician
General Electric Co.

[ August 10, 2005, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: OneWay ]

OneWay

Originally posted by charlie b:
No. But it would be a good design choice. So too, in my opinion, would be to use #12 and 20 amp breakers, even if a #14/15 amp is allowed. Note, "design choice," not code requirement. The trick is to convince the owner/builder that it is a good idea, and worth the extra costs.
I agree with your suggestion, it is apparent that some choose to always search out the code so they can sleep at night knowing that they pulled off a job that met the code! Hurray.. for all of you who put your work in by meeting the minimum requirements, why grovel over 15a or 20a,#14 or #12,wouldn't you sleep better if you guys knew that you had exceeded the code.if your confused over 15a or 20a in a residential garage, wait till you size a service for a 27 story building with a commercial parking garage attached
"Just Stay In Truck"!

[ August 11, 2005, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: OneWay ]

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Oneway, I think most people sleep well knowing they have met the code if that is all the owner wanted to pay for.

On the other hand, I know I would sleep better if the owner wanted to pay for a larger circuit and increase my profit margin. (not that there would be enough to worry about in this scenario)

wait till you size a service for a 27 story building with a commercial parking garage attached
This is not that difficult of a task, but I must ask, who seals your designs?

Roger

[ August 11, 2005, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: roger ]

OneWay

Originally posted by roger:
Oneway, I think most people sleep well knowing they have met the code if that is all the owner wanted to pay for.

On the other hand, I know I would sleep better if the owner wanted to pay for a larger circuit and increase my profit margin. (not that there would be enough to worry about in this scenario)

wait till you size a service for a 27 story building with a commercial parking garage attached
This is not that difficult of a task, but I must ask, who seals your designs?

Roger
GE Finance, GE Industrial(If the owner doesn't want to pay for it, then why should you oblige them to compromise the integrity of their existing service(poor practice), Nothing is impossible to sell as long as it is justified and legal, as are all installations specified by the NEC, all I'm saying is the code is our bargaining chip, otherwise everyone could perform this vocation. Because most electrical installations are required to conform to the NEC, then it is our responsibility to the customer and to ourselves to ensure that they are getting what they paid for. If the customer paid for a compromised system, then someone isn't doing their job well enough and is lacking in their duties as a licensed professional. We need to continue to push the envelope on safety and integrity. These qualities will help separate you from the "fly by nights" and will increase your profit margin.

[ August 11, 2005, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: OneWay ]

Status
Not open for further replies.