garage circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: garage circuits

Bothways, are there formal amendments that allow you to make your own rules?

BTW, are you refering to the GEC or the EGC, and in any case, why?

Roger

dillon3c

Originally posted by OneWay:
[/qb][/QUOTE} yes it is are you a memeber? the last local i worked out of was 716 down in houston, texas [/QB]
*You got mail and a respected, gooday to u sir.. :)

OneWay

Originally posted by roger:
Bothways, are there formal amendments that allow you to make your own rules?

BTW, are you refering to the GEC or the EGC, and in any case, why?

Roger
I believe he is refering to the EGC being no less than one size smaller than the GEC.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Oneway, Slow down and read my post again, where did I say anything about a formal interpretation?

Bothways, why would you want a 500MCM EGC for a feeder with a 600MCM grounded conductor, do you have stock in a copper mine?

Roger

bothways

ROFL; I wish I had stock in a copper mine. Please be advised that I was 'simply and generically speaking'. {unless of course I come across a copper mine}

[ August 12, 2005, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: bothways ]

OneWay

:cool:Bothways, you must be refering to general wiring methods, As for service feeders I would refer to Article 250-66 :roll:

[ August 12, 2005, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: OneWay ]

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Originally posted by iwire:
It's Texas, bigger is better. :cool:
large-smiley-059.gif

Roger

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by bothways:
Please be advised that I was 'simply and generically speaking'.
James, welcome to the forum. :)

Now, as for your "general" statement, there's something you should know: General statements go over like a turd in a punchbowl around here. If you make generalistic requirements over the jobs you inspect, I believe you will receive a large load of advise around here that will hopefully persuade you to stop doing so.

This is an excellent place to come for perspective, and it's good to see another inspector arrive. :)

[ August 12, 2005, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

James, my arguement is this: When you depart from the rules, what do you base judgements on?
More: There is no law against that.

Roper: There is! God's law!

More: Then God can arrest him.

Roper: Sophistication upon sophistication.

More: No, sheer simplicity. The law, Roper, the law. I know what's legal not what's right. And I'll stick to what's legal.

Roper: Then you set man's law above God's!

More: No, far below; but let me draw your attention to a fact - I'm not God. The currents and eddies of right and wrong, which you find such plain sailing, I can't navigate. I'm no voyager. But in the thickets of the law, oh, there I'm a forrester. I doubt if there's a man alive who could follow me there, thank God....

Alice: While you talk, he's gone!

More: And go he should, if he was the Devil himself, until he broke the law!

Roper: So now you'd give the Devil benefit of law!

More: Yes. What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get after the Devil?

Roper: I'd cut down every law in England to do that!

More: Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you - where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country's planted thick with laws from coast to coast - man's laws, not God's - and if you cut them down - and you're just the man to do it - d'you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake.

-A Man For All Seasons, Thomas More
:)

[ August 12, 2005, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

peter d

Originally posted by bothways:
Whew, you guys are tough. No more general statements from me. :)
And getting tougher. Why are you second guessing the NEC by requiring more? Many dead bodies and thousands of hours of research went into developing it. The sole purpose of NEC minimums are to guarantee a safe installation, and exceeding it rarely, if ever, makes it safer.

Unless you have local ammendments, you have ZERO authority to require more than the NEC. If you don't like NEC minimums, all I have to say is that you're gonna have to get over it.

How would you feel if a police officer pulled you over and gave you a ticket for doing 60 in a 65 mph zone? The police officer felt that on that day, the speed limit should be 60 because he felt that was safer than 65. Of course, a judge would throw this out of court in an instant. By requiring more than the NEC without a written ammendment or law, you are doing exactly as that police officer.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

How would you feel if a police officer pulled you over and gave you a ticket for doing 60 in a 65 mph zone?
love the analogy and definitely agree with the intent....however....
most States also have a law "too fast for conditions" :) maybe that's the same as NEC's 90-4 :D

[ August 12, 2005, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: augie47 ]

jimwalker

There is no reason to going beyond min.nec unless the customer asks for it.Monday i will trim a house that exceeded nec in many areas such as no #14 wire but in other areas wanted only what code forced them to do.For reasons i do not understand they scimped on kitchen outlets ,i was forced to add one to meet code and that upset them.Have thru the years suggested when possable to upgrade some things,some took the advice some rejected.If i am trying to get the job of wiring many homes for a GC i bid min.,if they wanted more they would have put it in the specs.Only thing i ever refused to do is use GE panels.No one ever had a word to say when i said i use square d homeline or cutler hammer.Some might prefer GE and i respect it as there right.A garage can do fine on 15 amps but if the owner starts telling me about the hoppy he has with building things i will suggest not only #12 but several outlets.

peter d

I don't think bothways is saying that in his town you better exceed the code or else.
Really? Then what does he mean by this:

Posted by bothways: The original point was that I SOMETIMES require more than the code sets forth because the code is the minimal requirement and I lean to the side of safety and quality over quantity and barely meeting requirements.
You people really need to try to comprehend what your reading and stop looking for chances to be ignorant.
Right. :roll: Maybe you should take your own advice.

OneWay

peter d, you apparently are misunderstanding what bothways has stated earlier. I myself cannot answer for him as i don't know him, yet if one inferred an idea of what he meant, one might ponder the thought and come to the conclusion that the CODE being the minimum is like the shoulder on a winding mountain road. Now why would you "peter p" want to drive your family, friends and anyone else who might trust and depend on you for their safety and wellbeing, why I ask you , would you want to drive the shoulder on that winding road when you could very easily drive down the lane has more room, is more identifiable and safer. Why are you so willing to compromise safety, if someone suggest or requires something more safer why are you fighting it. BE PROUD to BE AN ELECTRICIAN. :cool:

peter d

Why are you so willing to compromise safety, if someone suggest or requires something more safer why are you fighting it.
When did I say that I was willing to compromise safety? Please quote any part of this thread where I said that.

Why am I fighting it? Because an inspector has no authority to require more than what the NEC requires.

There are three fundamental issues at play here:

1) No inspector or AHJ can require more than the NEC or whatever local code is in effect. Nor can an inspector enforce their personal preferences or design specifications.

2) Following the minimum NEC requirements is an absolute guarantee of a safe, but not necessarily efficient, electrical installation.

3) The NEC is solely concerned with safety, and not good design. Requiring more than the NEC does not necessarily guarantee a safer installation.

These are the basic principles of the NEC as I see them. If you don't see it that way, then we will have to agree to disagree.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Why are you so willing to compromise safety, if someone suggest or requires something more safer why are you fighting it.
Why is exceeding the NEC "safer"?

Once we leave the bosom of the NEC's tables on an installation, and install larger grounding or bonding conductors, we are venturing into the design realm of our business, safety has already been attained.

The NEC is not a design standard. See 90.1(C).
The NEC is written for enforcement by an AHJ. See 90.4.

In this particular case, the conductor sizes listed in tables 250.66 and 250.122 are correct for the amount of fault current that can be produced by the current-carrying conductors involved.

Fault current is a totally different animal. The NEC knows this. Does Bothways? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.