garage door opener wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetlag

Hi , I am having trouble finding out the proper way to install the low voltage wiring for garage door openers . Right now I just need to know what wires are needed in the floor trusses above the doors before the insulation and drywall covers them up . It is my own house and I didn't want to run the wires exposed under the ceiling . I have the 120 v recepts roughed in for the door openers in the ceiling . OK , there will be 2 garage door openers . One on a 8x8 and another on a 16x8 . I want to be able to open these with a remote control from the outside or the inside. I also want a push button control for each one on the inside where I come out from the basement into the garage , and that wall is on the opposite end of garage from the garage doors . I have heard I will need a control wire from the motor location down each side of both doors . So that is 4 wires in the ceiling and also a wire from each push button on the wall up to the ceiling and over to the motor locations . Would I also need push buttons on the inside by the door that enters the garage in case I dont have the remote or it doesnt work ? Or would I just have to walk to the buttons on the opposite wall . Is there any other wires that need to be installed now in the ceiling ? Do the censors go on the wall on both sides of the doors ? do they go on the inside or outside ? Also what is the guage and numbers of the conductors for the bell wire

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
I've always run 2-wire bell wire I think 18 or 20 gauge. I like the jacketed. One run of wire from each side of the door to the opener. I always use a s/g plaster ring and trim with a plate. Then, one run of wire from the opener to the button on the wall, s/g plater ring. If you're going to install a second button for the same opener, like I have at my house, take a run from either the opener again or from the button location.

Repeat for each door.

jetlag

I've always run 2-wire bell wire I think 18 or 20 gauge. I like the jacketed. One run of wire from each side of the door to the opener. I always use a s/g plaster ring and trim with a plate. Then, one run of wire from the opener to the button on the wall, s/g plater ring. If you're going to install a second button for the same opener, like I have at my house, take a run from either the opener again or from the button location.

Repeat for each door.

Thanks Chamuit , that is the info I needed , I wanted the second button , and it would be close to the garage doors , so I can just do a 2 wire from the button to the opener same as I will for the other button , correct ? The safety reverse sensor and the remote control sensor must both be together on the sensors at the door bottom , correct ? I know I have to repeat the wiring for each door

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Yep, just wire the two buttons in parallel so that either one can close the circuit or take separate runs to each button and teminate both at the GDO.

Which GDO are you going to use?

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I don't think bell wire is rated for inside the wall use. If you plan on burying it, keep that in mind. I use cat5 for all the garage wires and it works fine.

macmikeman

I hope that you are not using more than one conductor of the cat 5 cable for each side of the garage door opener runs to sensors and pushbuttons, because you need 1/0 or larger conductors to run them in parallel . I just use up boxes of old burgler and fire alarm cables I have in stock from when I used to go after those type of jobs as well as lights and outlet's type of jobs. It works fine and is rated for behind the drywall in most all circumstances except plenums.

JFletcher

I personally wouldnt use cat5e, the wires are too fragile really. Seen a ton of it fail when used as t-stat wiring, some on garage doors and doorbells. On the plus side there'd be spare wires for you when it breaks.

Some speaker and bell wire is not rated for in-wall use. Post #2 is right on for wiring the doors.

I'd use a backed box (iow, not a LV) for the door control wiring in the ceiling.

Last job we had to use wiremold as there was a massive load bearing beam across the entire 2 door entryway that couldnt be drilled or notched.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't think bell wire is rated for inside the wall use. If you plan on burying it, keep that in mind. I use cat5 for all the garage wires and it works fine.

What many called bell wire is simply 2 wire T-stat wire. I used to run 3 wire just in case one wire got corrupted. No problem running that in the walls

kwired

Electron manager
Do the censors go on the wall on both sides of the doors ? do they go on the inside or outside ? Also what is the guage and numbers of the conductors for the bell wire
Sensors are usually mounted on a bracket that clips onto the door track with most newer door openers. They go on the inside and within a foot from the floor (see instructions for exact height requirement). The idea is they will detect children or pets passing through the door while it is closing and will reverse the door to prevent injury if there is anything obstructing the path between the sensors.

The sensors come with enough cable to reach the door operator, but if pre-wiring before you have the door operator or replacing one that was run within the walls/ceiling you pretty much will cut off most of it and end up splicing conductors.

I have always used 18-2 "thermostat" wire though what comes with the sensors is probably only 20 or 22 AWG.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
What many called bell wire is simply 2 wire T-stat wire. I used to run 3 wire just in case one wire got corrupted. No problem running that in the walls

None the less, it was a good point. That being, some cable is not listed for installing concealed in an wall, or ceiling cavity, so verify application or install a chase.

peter d

My mom's house (in Fla.) has cat 5 for the garage door button and sensors. Seems like a Florida thing. It was built by a big homebuilder and wired by hacks.

kwired

Electron manager
Can the cable that comes with the door opener be installed within walls/ceilings?

It is usually already connected to the sensors, but they also give you a coil of same type to use for the wall control.

Never looked to see if it has any markings on it.

peter d

Can the cable that comes with the door opener be installed within walls/ceilings?

It is usually already connected to the sensors, but they also give you a coil of same type to use for the wall control.

Never looked to see if it has any markings on it.

It carries a few micro amps. I'd put it in the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.