Garage not grounded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey94

Occupation
Apprentice
In my garage if I check my receptacles with a gci outlet tester it says there is no grounding. There is no gren wire but it’s all conected with EMT. The electrician who did it a few years back he said just put a copper rod in the soil 10’ deep and connect everything to that and you will have grounding. Is it the correct way ? I guess that won’t trip my breaker and won’t disconnect the power if there is a ground fault.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Welcome to the Forum. :)

You say that you're an apprentice, have you studied any of Article 250? Take a look at 250.4(A)(5).

Joey94

Occupation
Apprentice
Welcome to the Forum. :)

You say that you're an apprentice, have you studied any of Article 250? Take a look at 250.4(A)(5).
Thank you! That will be the first thing when I get home. I’m still learning and just bought few books from Mike Holt to get a better understanding.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Is your garage attached to the home or detached? If the garage is detached Is the wiring to the garage in metal conduit?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Btw, don't listen to that electrician.. He is giving you bad advice especially if he did this a few years ago.
x2

A customer with a garage shocking problem had the EG bar going to a rod. It doesn't work
Every item that was connected to that bar was energized when one of the branch circuit hots faulted to a cable connector that had been over tightened.

Joey94

Occupation
Apprentice
The conduit goes underground to the unattached garage. He said as he remembers the wires are burried only in pvc or similar tubing. No EMT. Which would explain why there is no grounding. As much as visible to me it’s all EMT going in the ground.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The conduit goes underground to the unattached garage. He said as he remembers the wires are burried only in pvc or similar tubing. No EMT. Which would explain why there is no grounding. As much as visible to me it’s all EMT going in the ground.
When was this installed? Prior to the adoption of the 2008 NEC this may have been code compliant if installed correctly. If you're reading open ground on the tester than obviously there is an issue.

Joey94

Occupation
Apprentice
When was this installed? Prior to the adoption of the 2008 NEC this may have been code compliant if installed correctly. If you're reading open ground on the tester than obviously there is an issue.

About 10 years ago. It must’ve been after 2008

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
About 10 years ago. It must’ve been after 2008

If it was done during the 2005 NEC then drive a rod at the panel-assuming their is one-- and connect it to the equipment ground bar. If the rest is in metal conduit then the pipe can be the equipment grounding conductor.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If it was done during the 2005 NEC then drive a rod at the panel-assuming their is one-- and connect it to the equipment ground bar. If the rest is in metal conduit then the pipe can be the equipment grounding conductor.
I was thinking about this but if the feeder conduit is metal and all of the branch circuit wiring is in EMT then why would the tester say that there receptacle is not grounded?

Joey94

Occupation
Apprentice
Either a PVC underground or maybe the EMT was not connected properly and that’s why there is no continuity in it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Either a PVC underground or maybe the EMT was not connected properly and that’s why there is no continuity in it.
Let's assume for arguments sake that this is a pre-2008 NEC installation and that there are no metallic paths between the garage and the house. PVC raceway and the feeder is only 3-wires so you can bond the neutral in the garage panel and install a GES which will likely be two ground rods and you're done.

Joey94

Occupation
Apprentice
I got no garage panel. The feeder comes from the house panel into the garage switch box.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
In my garage if I check my receptacles with a gci outlet tester it says there is no grounding. There is no gren wire but it’s all conected with EMT. The electrician who did it a few years back he said just put a copper rod in the soil 10’ deep and connect everything to that and you will have grounding. Is it the correct way ? I guess that won’t trip my breaker and won’t disconnect the power if there is a ground fault.
Are you saying there is no EGC included with the feeder conductors and there is no neutral-ground bond in the garage panel?

Take an ohm meter and go from the EGC bar to the neutral bar and see If it shows high/low resistance measurement and make sure you have a effective fault current path.

Joey94

Occupation
Apprentice
Yes. It is a branch circuit. Apologies for the wrong expression. It is not a feeder it is a branch circuit

Joey94

Occupation
Apprentice
Yes. That’s correct. Only 2 conductors. So pushing a copper rod in soil would make no sense. Only solution is an equipment grounding conductor. Is that right?

Status
Not open for further replies.