Garbage disposal in a church kitchen

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmeek

Occupation
Electrician
I have a new disposal in a church kitchen. Its a 3/4hp at 9.2A Can it be installed on a circuit that feeds counter receptacles. The panels are full and its in a wood framed building that is very hard to get back into the electrical rooms with out removing alot of sheet rock.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
A church we work with has just had a request by the "kitchen ladies" that they would like outlets for 15 crock pots. That doesn't bother me so much as the 15 roasters that will end up being used instead. Adding a GD to the mix is asking for headaches.

Install it with reservation noted. The breaker will trip, is the worst that can happen. Well, that, and you will be blamed for eternity.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
A church we work with has just had a request by the "kitchen ladies" that they would like outlets for 15 crock pots. That doesn't bother me so much as the 15 roasters that will end up being used instead. Adding a GD to the mix is asking for headaches.

Install it with reservation noted. The breaker will trip, is the worst that can happen. Well, that, and you will be blamed for eternity.

I understand your concern but IMO, the gd will be on for such a short period that it will probably never trip the breaker. If it does they will learn not to do use it when cooking

kwired

Electron manager
I have a new disposal in a church kitchen. Its a 3/4hp at 9.2A Can it be installed on a circuit that feeds counter receptacles. The panels are full and its in a wood framed building that is very hard to get back into the electrical rooms with out removing alot of sheet rock.
The SABC rules only apply to dwelling units if that helps you decide. I have no problem with your proposed install but if you want to be real picky, I guess you have a 9.2A fixed load and 180 volt amps per other receptacle that doesn't supply a specific load.

wmeek

Occupation
Electrician
I was just wanting to make sure its not a code violation to install a GD on existing counter top circuits. I fully understand the concerns about possible breaker tripping. As with any counter top receptacles it would be possible to overload circuit causing breaker to trip. Thanks for everyone help.

Status
Not open for further replies.