Garbage Disposal Receptacle GFCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
To me that actually makes perfect sense and I am sure why 6' was chosen.

Here in MA we have an amendment that says more or less 'the measurement will be the shortest path a 6' cord could take without passing through walls, doors or other barriers' To me this is logical and a good amendment.

To me it all depends on what's on the end of the cord as to whether the appliance will reach the water or not.
Not the cord itself.

JAP>

iwire

Staff member
To me it all depends on what's on the end of the cord as to whether the appliance will reach the water or not.
Not the cord itself.

JAP>

Well as appliances get larger I think the chances of someone dropping one in a sink starts to decrease. :cool:

We can disagree :) but to me using the cord length was a very logical choice as opposed to picking a measurement from thin air.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Well as appliances get larger I think the chances of someone dropping one in a sink starts to decrease. :cool:

We can disagree :) but to me using the cord length was a very logical choice as opposed to picking a measurement from thin air.

I'm not disagreeing, I just think it's silly to use the cord length.
If I have a receptacle that it 7' from the sink my toaster may not reach it but my flat top electric griddle might.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Oh well, most cords on things used on a counter next to a sink aren't 6' long anyway.

JAP>

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
To me that actually makes perfect sense and I am sure why 6' was chosen.

Here in MA we have an amendment that says more or less 'the measurement will be the shortest path a 6' cord could take without passing through walls, doors or other barriers' To me this is logical and a good amendment.

Except that if it specifically mentions doors rather than doorways it allows for you to open the door of the cupboard under the sink and run the cord out and over the sink to determine the 6' path.

Hendrix

[/B]

Appliances are becoming garbage right out of the box, or should I say shrink wrap on some, gone are the days when if one so desired, you could use a appliance for 30+ years, my kitchen range was a Frigidaire "Flair" that had dates on the controls from 1965, & a late 1970's Whirlpool fridge, the range still worked but was donated to the local ReStore & sold the same day, compressor died on the other a few years ago, if some of the quality was still there, the higher efficiency of today's appliances would be more worthwhile, instead of being sent to the landfill or tin pile at the nearest scrapyard after a short lifetime.

We still use a freezer we bought in 1978 from Monkey Ward.:jawdrop:

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I'm not sure but I'm thinking I read that countertop kitchen appliances only have cord 3' or less per NEMA or UL.And now that I think of it pre-wired disposals I think are the same way.

Ragin Cajun

Since GFCI is now required for a Dishwasher, I don't see any difference for a garbage disposal.

HUH?
In looking at my 2014 NEC handbook on page 69 it states under 218.8(A)(6):

"Receptacles installed for disposals, dishwashers, and trash compactors are not required to be protected by GFCI's." (Bolding mine)

Am I missing something? GFCI's NOT required.

RC

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
HUH?
In looking at my 2014 NEC handbook on page 69 it states under 218.8(A)(6):

"Receptacles installed for disposals, dishwashers, and trash compactors are not required to be protected by GFCI's." (Bolding mine)

Am I missing something? GFCI's NOT required.

RC

Yes. 2014 NEC 210.8(D) "Kitchen Dishwasher Branch Circuit. GFCI protection shall be provided for outlets that supply dishwashers installed in dwelling unit locations." Note the use of "outlet" means hardwired or cord and plug connected.

And, 210.8(A)(6) is concerned with receptacles to "serve the countertop surfaces." The language of your quote, I believe, is Handbook commentary, and is unenforceable. 210.8(D) is enforceable.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I'm not disagreeing, I just think it's silly to use the cord length.
If I have a receptacle that it 7' from the sink my toaster may not reach it but my flat top electric griddle might.

JAP>
I believe the maximum permitted cord length in the product standards is 6'.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Thanks.

One would think that there would be internal consistency within the NEC published handbook!

RC
:D

One would think.

There's probably an Errata that has been released for the 2014 Handbook that includes something about this commentary to 210.8(A)(6).

For a little fun, if you have an early printing of the 2014 NEC, and look at the first sentence of 210.8 (before 210.8(A)) you can read that 210.8(D) is NOT included as a rule that requires GFCI for personnel. However, a 2014 NEC Errata was released shortly after publication, correcting the omission of "(D)".

You could, with a first run copy of the "miss-printed" 2014 NEC 210.8 in your hand, bring this up to your local inspector and see what happens. . . . just sayin'. . . :angel:

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
:D

One would think.

There's probably an Errata that has been released for the 2014 Handbook that includes something about this commentary to 210.8(A)(6).

For a little fun, if you have an early printing of the 2014 NEC, and look at the first sentence of 210.8 (before 210.8(A)) you can read that 210.8(D) is NOT included as a rule that requires GFCI for personnel. However, a 2014 NEC Errata was released shortly after publication, correcting the omission of "(D)".

You could, with a first run copy of the "miss-printed" 2014 NEC 210.8 in your hand, bring this up to your local inspector and see what happens. . . . just sayin'. . . :angel:

You sir, are a trouble maker. The Sisters of Mercy would have kept a close eye on you in school, no mistake. :D

al hildenbrand

Occupation
You sir, are a trouble maker. The Sisters of Mercy would have kept a close eye on you in school, no mistake. :D

That's pretty much what my Eighth Grade English teacher, Ms. Laura Clatinoff said (a greatly feared soul installed with the building) when she scolded me for being the most unteachable student she'd ever had.

If that reprimand had been a merit badge, it was one of the best I ever earned. :cool:;)

Status
Not open for further replies.