Gas/Diesel tanks on farm

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRI

I have a client (farmer) who has an above ground gasoline tank and a diesel tank, I estimate they are about 1000 gallons each. They are currently wired straight from the panel in the adjacent barn in 1/2" pvc. No seal off, no emergency shut off switch. He noticed the pvc was broken on the gas pump so he wants me to fix it. I will bring this up to code. Will the emergency cut off that I mount satisfy 514.11(A) or do I need another disconnect switch for each pump?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I treat gas storage/dispensers on farms I would anywhere else. Just because we have no inspection on them does not relieve us of responsibilities.
Diesel is much more relaxed as per NEC but most likely it is within 20' of the gasoline so that will change things.

Not sure when the tanks are required to have leak retainment provisions.

hardworkingstiff

Will the emergency cut off that I mount satisfy 514.11(A) or do I need another disconnect switch for each pump?
Without being a smart a$$, I don't know will it? :) I think you need to tell us more about it for us to answer that. I'm not sure what specifically about 514.11 you are concerned with.
Not sure when the tanks are required to have leak retainment provisions.

I believe it starts at 1320 gallons (single tank or aggregate).

CFR 40 part 112 is what I believe applys from the Fed and the local jurisdictions may have additional requirements.

MRI

I was reading 514.11(A) wrong, the emergency cut off switch is the only disconnecting means required. I have a feeling he is not going to like the number I give him for doing this the right way.

hardworkingstiff

I was reading 514.11(A) wrong, the emergency cut off switch is the only disconnecting means required. I have a feeling he is not going to like the number I give him for doing this the right way.

I'm SURE he won't like it, lol.

You will probably get the "it's been working fine without any problems so far" line too.

Don't let it bother you, it is what it is. Better to not do it than do it wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.