Gas Pipe Bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosierSparky

Senior Plans Examiner, MEP
Occupation
Senior Plans Examiner
Please, don't laugh. I have a building inspector that failed a residential rough electrical inspection because the gas piping to the home was bonded to the ground buss in a sub panel on the other end of a house from the service equipment. I backed up the inspector by quoting 250.104(B). The inspection supervisor cannot understand WHY the equipment ground to the sub panel cannot be used as the gas bond too, if it was through an non-reversible crimp. He was not an electrician. EVER. Any comments, help, other than leave him hanging?

RICK NAPIER

If it was csst and your using the 2009 IRC this would apply.

SECTION G2411 (310) ELECTRICAL BONDING

G2411.1 (310.1) Pipe and tubing other than CSST. Each above-ground portion of a gas piping system other than corrugated stainless steel tubing (CSST), that is likely to become energized shall be electrically continuous and bonded to an effective ground-fault current path. Gas piping, other than CSST, shall be considered to be bonded where it is connected to appliances that are connected to the equipment grounding conductor of the circuit supplying that appliance.

G2411.1.1 (310.1.1) CSST. Corrugated stainless steel tubing (CSST) gas piping systems shall be bonded to the electrical service grounding electrode system at the point where the gas service enters the building. The bonding jumper shall be not smaller than 6 AWG copper wire or equivalent.

jumper

So why can't the appliance EGC in the sub be okay to bond the pipe.

That EGC is connected to the sub panel EGC, which connects to the main panel, and it connects to the GEC and the service neutral.

The equipment grounding conductor for the circuit that is likely
to energize the piping shall be permitted to serve as the
bonding means.

HoosierSparky

Occupation
Senior Plans Examiner
A sub panel can be eliminated from the home. Not likely, but it can. The GEC then disappears and the gas piping no longer is bonded.

250.104 Bonding of Piping Systems and Exposed Structural Steel.

(B) Other Metal Piping. Where installed in or attached to a building or structure, metal piping system(s), including gas piping, that is likely to become energized shall be bonded to the service equipment enclosure, the grounded conductor at the service, the grounding electrode conductor where of sufficient size, or to the one or more grounding electrodes used. The bonding jumper(s) shall be sized in accordance with 250.122, using the rating of the circuit that is likely to energize the piping system(s). The equipment grounding conductor for the circuit that is likely to energize the piping shall be permitted to serve as the bonding means. The points of attachment of the bonding jumper(s) shall be accessible.
FPN: Bonding all piping and metal air ducts within the premises will provide additional safety.​
[/I][/I]

I believe that 250.104(B) is specific in stating that the gas piping SHALL be bonded to the Service Equipment (Main Panel).

PEDRO ESCOVILLA

i just had one where, i came to a jurisdiction, behind an inspector who had left, i wasnt around for initial sub slab/plbg, or roughs, so on final, i'm asking for bonding of gas piping. people start freaking. EC drives a rod with a clamp and #6 ahead of gas meter. I say, you just made the supply piping a GEC, not acceptable. more fuming. Electrician on site ( same company, different guy) says, i'll take it from a sub panel, to an accessible location in the ceiling, i accept. i understand it's not "at the service, but it would heve been extreeeemly difficult to achieve this $wise. a sub is bonded to the service, BO is happy w/it. whats the opinion

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If this isn't CSST then why is anyone wasting the time to put a bonding jumper to a gas pipe. The pipe is bonded to the EGC in the circuit of the by the gas appliance it serves.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If this isn't CSST then why is anyone wasting the time to put a bonding jumper to a gas pipe. The pipe is bonded to the EGC in the circuit of the by the gas appliance it serves.
That's the point the circuit is from the sub panel and not the main panel.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I added the 1,2,3,4 to show how I read the section

B) Other Metal Piping. Where installed in or attached to a building or structure, a metal piping system(s), including gas piping, that is likely to become energized shall be bonded to
1)the service equipment enclosure,
2)the grounded conductor at the service,
3)the grounding electrode conductor where of sufficient size, or
4)the one or more grounding electrodes used. The bonding jumper(s) shall be sized in accordance with 250.122, using the rating of the circuit that is likely to energize the piping system(s). The equipment grounding conductor for the circuit that is likely to energize the piping shall be permitted to serve as the bonding means. The points of attachment of the bonding jumper(s) shall be accessible.

It does not state that this must go back to the service directly.

jumper

I added the 1,2,3,4 to show how I read the section

B) Other Metal Piping. Where installed in or attached to a building or structure, a metal piping system(s), including gas piping, that is likely to become energized shall be bonded to
1)the service equipment enclosure,
2)the grounded conductor at the service,
3)the grounding electrode conductor where of sufficient size, or
4)the one or more grounding electrodes used. The bonding jumper(s) shall be sized in accordance with 250.122, using the rating of the circuit that is likely to energize the piping system(s). The equipment grounding conductor for the circuit that is likely to energize the piping shall be permitted to serve as the bonding means. The points of attachment of the bonding jumper(s) shall be accessible.

It does not state that this must go back to the service directly.

So why can't the appliance EGC in the sub be okay to bond the pipe.

That EGC is connected to the sub panel EGC, which connects to the main panel, and it connects to the GEC and the service neutral.

The equipment grounding conductor for the circuit that is likely
to energize the piping shall be permitted to serve as the
bonding means.

yeah, that looks familiar.:)

S'mise

I don't see where it matters either. The point was raised that the sub-panel could be removed. If that was the case the circuit that is likely to energize the pipe would be removed also.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't see where it matters either. The point was raised that the sub-panel could be removed. If that was the case the circuit that is likely to energize the pipe would be removed also.

That pretty much sums it up. :)

HoosierSparky

Occupation
Senior Plans Examiner
I understand about it being OK to bond to the sub panel IF it is the sole means or method of energizing the gas piping. It isn't. There can be circuits located in the main service panel that can energize the piping too. That being the case, doesn't it follow that the BEST location for safely bonding the gas piping is at the main service?

jumper

I understand about it being OK to bond to the sub panel IF it is the sole means or method of energizing the gas piping. It isn't. There can be circuits located in the main service panel that can energize the piping too. That being the case, doesn't it follow that the BEST location for safely bonding the gas piping is at the main service?

Every circuit that is likely to energize the piping has an EGC, what would be the problem of a circuit from a sub panel along with ones from the main?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

The service may be the best bonding location but you're not required to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.