Gas Pipe Bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
In my work (solar) we are required on every job to bring the grounding up to code. The AHJ insists on water, two rods, and gas, and we typically run a new GEC to all of the above, or at least to whichever are not already bonded. I guess that including the gas is just the AHJ's way of ensuring that 250.104(B) is complied with. Not all gas appliances actually use electricity.

It's nice to know there are other options for bonding the gas. I had not paid close attention to 250.104(B) before.

jaggedben

Occupation
Seems to me that if an inspector is truly worried that there are multiple circuits that are 'likely to energize the piping', then 250.104(B) requires, at most, that the bonding jumper to the piping be of the same required size as the EGC for the highest amperage circuit.

wireguy8169

As long as you bonded on the house side of the gas meter, I think you're okay. From your post it's not clear what the first appliance that you grounded was, or how/where you bonded it.

The bonding of the chassi via the egc at the range or the furnace, or the hot water heater would be the only bonding to the electrical system. It seems fine to me but again there could be bonding at the meter by the gas installer. I just looked at the CMP handbook and it does state that the gas piping system not be used as a grounding electrode, but bonding of the piping system would not be that. I do not do much residential work anymore we always passed inspection, just never thought of it till seeing the post.

jaggedben

Occupation
Most gas companies use a dielectric fitting between the underground pipe and the connection to the house piping.

How long has this been common practice and can the dielectric fitting be easily identified visually? I work in a lot of older houses and am wondering how many of them are likely to have this.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
How long has this been common practice and can the dielectric fitting be easily identified visually? I work in a lot of older houses and am wondering how many of them are likely to have this.
I have seen it here in many homes however I don't know if the gas company has made a concerted effort to clean them all up or not.

I know about 25 years ago an inspector turned me down so I bonded the gas pipe. The gas company chewed me out and said don't you ever do that again-- the inspector and the gas company needed to come to terms-- gas company won. I think it wasn't long after that that they began the dielectric fittings.

kwired

Electron manager
The code is very specific about the piping and does not deal with CSST as an exception. If the pipe is black iron then the branch circuit egc serves as the bond. Per article 250.104(b). If there is CSST anywhere in the system then that changes and the special bonding requirements required by the manufacturer takes precedent.

And the installer of the CSST should be responsible for bonding it not the electrician. If they don't want to learn how maybe they should stop installing CSST. If it were up to me CSST would be outlawed. I will never have any installed in my home. I will cut and thread the black pipe myself if I have to.

Meter hubs AFAIK are dielectric fittings. Newer installations with non metallic underground piping only has metal riser and then adapts to nonmetallic so the piping does not become much of an electrode as there is only a couple feet in contact with earth, and it is also painted making it less conductive.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
And the installer of the CSST should be responsible for bonding it not the electrician. If they don't want to learn how maybe they should stop installing CSST. If it were up to me CSST would be outlawed. I will never have any installed in my home. I will cut and thread the black pipe myself if I have to.
I agree about the CSST-- you don't do it then the builder will probably find an ec that will and start using them. Non EC's are not allowed to work inside a panel. I fought it for awhile then decided to just bond it and be done.

kwired

Electron manager
I agree about the CSST-- you don't do it then the builder will probably find an ec that will and start using them. Non EC's are not allowed to work inside a panel. I fought it for awhile then decided to just bond it and be done.

If you want my opinion it is another good reason to have an intersystem bonding jumper - no good reason why the bonding wire for the CSST can not land there IMO. I get tired of gas pipe installers all with their own way of telling me how it needs done. I don't tell them how to install their equipment - normally - until they place something in a 110.26 area or something boneheaded like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.