Gatorade, 2 for 3 bucks..................

Status
Not open for further replies.

220/221

Overnight in the hospital from severe dehydration/renal failure, $9700 and mounting.

DSC01913.jpg

Arizona in the summertime.

A couple of weeks ago I made my first trip to the ER. Working hard to get some businesses up and running after a huge storm took out the overhaed risers/services. Drank 3 quarts between 6 and 11AM but started cramping anyway. Tried to rest, drink, eat but couldn't shake it. I felt I had to stay and get the green tags as the inspectors and POCO were scheduled to come at about 2PM.

BIG mistake.

Green tag gets there @ 2:30. Ten minutes later my ride gets there but I know that I can't make it home so we head to the ER. Worst pain I've ever experienced. Every single muscle in my body was cramping HARD. Charley horse style in both hamstrings, calves, abs, forearms, back, neck....you name it.

20 minutes to the hospital. I am begging for them to help me or kill me. Once they got around to plugging in the IV ( 20 minutes???) and gave me a little shot of some miracle drug, I was all good.

I am ready to go in an hour but my kidneys were NOT happy and they kept me overnight.

@56, I'm too old for this stuff.

On the bright side, the day after being pumprd full of saline, I felt like I was 30 years old again !

480sparky

220/221 said:
Overnight in the hospital from severe dehydration/renal failure, $9700 and mounting.....

At least you made it to the horsepistol. I spent my dehydration episode passed out in an attic, face down in insulation.

But glad you're all better now. We need you here.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I remember when I hitchedhiked from NYC to Tuscon, AZ. I got there and borrowed a college friends bike to ride out to the Senora Desert Museum. I got to this huge hill and thought I would die before I got to the museum. I spent the whole time there hydrating myself.

On the way back I looked up at that hill and said "I am going to die out here". Fortunately a vehicle came by that was big enough for me and my bike (I decided to hitch hike back). I got a ride back to Tuscon and boy was I glad to be out of that dry heat. Dang, it came on fast. I must have been a bit dehydrating from days before.

Glad you made it.

frizbeedog

Chronic Dehydration

Chronic Dehydration

Glad to hear you're OK.

I just had a glass of water.

Chronic dehydration is a condition that develops over years and can't be cured overnight, or in a morning if the heat spikes. You may be behind and have been for years. A constant intake of coffee, sodas, and alcohol will not help, that coupled without a regular intake of plain water (which is far easier for your body to utilize, without having to go through all the processes of extracting the unnecessry ingredients to get at the water).

The following link is a brief overview of the condition and the many health related syptoms which may be signs of chronic dehydration.

Enjoy

The book recommended at the bottom of the page is a good read. :)
YOUR BODY'S MANY CRIES FOR WATER (You are not sick, you are thirsty)
By F. Batmanghelidj, M.D.

ItsHot

thanks!

thanks!

Thanks for the link dog! That's good reading right there. We all need to be reminded of this! Hard to believe we can get so busy and forget to drink water. I am going to try and get this book! Thanks again!:smile:

frizbeedog

ItsHot said:
Thanks for the link dog! That's good reading right there. We all need to be reminded of this! Hard to believe we can get so busy and forget to drink water. I am going to try and get this book! Thanks again!:smile:

You're welcome sir.

:cool:

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Glad to hear you're on the road to wellness!

In 2000, I got dehydrated in Colorado...$2000 got me three bottles of D5W through IV's, and a fistful of antibiotics. Funny how you can almost feel the water pump through you when you get "too close to the edge" when it comes to dehydration.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
We just recently took a class, that was required by OSHA, on heat. It does come on fast. Wasn't two days after the class and I'm on a roof looking at a solar system, get down start talking to the EC and said, I gotta go. I was feeling light headed. Had water in the truck and turned on the A/C sat there for about 10 or 15 minutes and still took me most of the day to feel right again.

Glad to hear you recovered. For $50 you can get a nice Timex with a hydration alarm. You think it's pointless, until something like this happens.

Be wary of Gatorade. If you drink nothing but that, it will dehydrate you. Drink water, and plenty of it. You might want to look into getting a case of bottled water to keep in your truck, just in case.

Glad you're OK, too.

DanZ said:
Be wary of Gatorade. If you drink nothing but that, it will dehydrate you. Drink water, and plenty of it..

Drink lots of water, but also drink some gatorade or other sports drink. You really need to replace what you sweat out, like the potassium (which keeps the muscles from cramping). I cut the Gatorade 1:1 with plain water; then I can drink more of it. A trick that an old runner told me is to keep drinking the gatorade until it stops tasting good. This seems to work for me. And if you can't remember the last time you had to relieve yourself, you probably aren't drinking enough.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
zbang said:
Glad you're OK, too.
Me, three!

A trick that an old runner told me is to keep drinking the gatorade until it stops tasting good.
When does it start? :D

I drink Turkey Hill diet green tea, a half gallon a day or more. I fill the half-gallon plastic jug it comes in about half-way, more in summer, less in winter, then freeze it overnight.

The next morning, I top it off with the same stuff, put it in an insulated rectangular carry-around coller bag, and it acts like non-water-down ice. I can also use it to keep other stuff cool.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
220/221 said:
Overnight in the hospital from severe dehydration/renal failure, $9700 and mounting.

DSC01913.jpg

BIG mistake.

what a ding-dong.

:D

it happened to me two years ago, but was caused by a long hot day at work coupled with a nasty virus my then 2 year old brought home from school.

hospital wanted me to stay overnight, but because it took 5 minutes to wake the doctor up from his nap to see me, i figured my chances of survival were just as good at home.

JohnJ0906

brantmacga said:
hospital wanted me to stay overnight, but because it took 5 minutes to wake the doctor up from his nap to see me, i figured my chances of survival were just as good at home.

Well, at least the doctor was getting some rest..... :rolleyes:

Glad you're OK 220.

Chenley

My uncle (ex-military) and I had a conversation about Gatorade a couple weeks ago.

One of his friends that he keeps in touch with got his butt chewed by the Drill Seargent for giving his troops Gatorade. They require the Gatorade to be cut 1:1 with water. He stated that when Gatorade first came out that nobody really liked the taste since it was cut this way. The company the produces Gatorade ended up cutting half the water out to get more flavor, thus it is less hydrating.

Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.