GC only wants service

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKwiring

How do you respond to GC or HO who only want you to do the service on a new residential job and leave the house wiring to them?
Thanks

Here the utility company won't hook on until an electrical inspection form is signed by an inspector or the electrician. Of course the HO or GC wants the service plus a receptacle to plug in to and they want it energized. With my name on the paper I am saying-(wording on form) "I certify that the electrical installations for the dwelling meet the requirements of the current NEC". How many HO or GC meet code? I don't dare put my name on it. If I tell the GC or HO I'll do the service, but not sign the paper they'll say no thanks and find someone who will. But I don't see how to avoid my name on someone elses errors.

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
BackInTheHabit said:
Run Forrest Run!
I agree.

If you do price the job be sure that your permit makes it clear you are only permitting the service and nothing more.

Roger

Last edited:

bphgravity

This happens quite often and never really works out well. However, there is nothing illegal or unethical about providing this service as long as you clearly identify the terms of the work on your contract with the GC and/or owner AND advise the building department of the situation.

480sparky

BackInTheHabit said:
Run Forrest Run!

And he spelled Forrest correctly, too! :)

forrest.jpg

(I can hear Rebel Rouser playing now...)​

Last edited:

AKwiring

I've worked with a Master Electrician for quite a few years. Recently I've taken over his business. He did service jobs only for a couple of GC and many HO and now they expect me to also, but I don't feel good about it, but I also don't want to tarnish good relationships.

electricmanscott

AKwiring said:
How do you respond to GC or HO who only want you to do the service on a new residential job and leave the house wiring to them?
Thanks

Here is how I respond...."Is your money green? Yes? Ok, looks like we can do business..."

emahler

the residential service is the homerun...wiring the house is grunt work with very little profit...heck, dot your i's and cross your t's...and do every service only you can...it's quick, it's painless and it's profitable...

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
emahler said:
the residential service is the homerun...wiring the house is grunt work with very little profit...heck, dot your i's and cross your t's...and do every service only you can...it's quick, it's painless and it's profitable...

agree. document what you do, pull a permit, get an inepection and drive to the bank.
if you don't, someone else will

mdshunk

I'm perfectly willing to sell them whatever it is that they want to buy. If they're buying a service, a service they shall have. I would try to talk them into letting me do other work from a pure business standpoint, but I have no problems doing the service only. The permit would say that I'm just doing the service, and the invoice would only say the service. I see -zero- liability issues in that regard. I could really care less how much or how little they screw up the branch circuits.

tmbrk

emahler said:

I agree.

I've never run into this situation, but I would treat this as a service call and price it out accordingly.

bikeindy

I'm in the crowd that says go and do it. I would, I bid comercial that way a building goes up and you only provide the service and then when the tenent build out comes that is a different bid. I would just pull the permit for the service and let them deal with the rest.

tonyou812

electricmanscott said:
Here is how I respond...."Is your money green? Yes? Ok, looks like we can do business..."
I concure, looks like easy money to me.....And I would definatly tell the inspector to bring a bigger note book and a few extra red stickers.

Status
Not open for further replies.