GEC in Service Lateral between Remote Main And SwG

Status
Not open for further replies.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
*Not with an EGC... but rather in the service disconnecting means with an MBJ (Main Bonding Jumper).

*EGC is required with the feeder to the building, because the grounded conductor is not bonded to either EGC or GEC at the building. In much older editions, an EGC was not required, but the grounded conductor was required to be bonded to both EGC or GEC at the building. An adequate ground fault current path is the reason.

Yes, thanks...too long of a day.

I meant GEC in both of those cases.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Yes, thanks...too long of a day.

I meant GEC in both of those cases.
Okay... but that amounts to my actually interpreting your post wrong.

You meant the service grounded conductor is bonded to the grounding electrode(s) via the GEC(s).

...and...

No GEC is required to be run with the feeder, or not with feeder, to connect building and pole electrodes as one GES.

Okay... but that amounts to my actually interpreting your post wrong.

You meant the service grounded conductor is bonded to the grounding electrode(s) via the GEC(s).

...and...

No GEC is required to be run with the feeder, or not with feeder, to connect building and pole electrodes as one GES.
That being said then is there two system bonding jumpers, one at the pole and one at the building? Because the GE system at the pole will be two 5/8"x8' ground rods vs a 2/0 cu ground ring, a metel building frame, a 8" water pipe and two ground rods at the building. All way better than two ground rods! The grounded conductor and the grounding conductor are not to connect again after the main bonding jumper at the main service disconnect, no?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
That being said then is there two system bonding jumpers, one at the pole and one at the building? Because the GE system at the pole will be two 5/8"x8' ground rods vs a 2/0 cu ground ring, a metel building frame, a 8" water pipe and two ground rods at the building. All way better than two ground rods! The grounded conductor and the grounding conductor are not to connect again after the main bonding jumper at the main service disconnect, no?
There will be one MBJ at the remote service. At the building disconnect (you do have one I trust) you do not bond the grounded conductor-just connect the GEC system to the equipment ground bar.
As for having 2 GES (one at the service and one at the building) that is OK. The one at the service is 2 ground rods per your desciption-that is OK. The GES at the building you indicate is more substantial-that is OK as well. Just size the GEC as required for the grounding electrodes being used as required.
That said, you could (not code required) bond the GES of the remote service and the building together(to create one GES) with a compliant sized bonding jumper (seperate from the required EGC in the feeder).

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
That said, you could (not code required) bond the GES of the remote service and the building together(to create one GES) with a compliant sized bonding jumper (seperate from the required EGC in the feeder).

It seems to me that the EGC that is required to be run with the feeder already bonds the two GES's together.

OK well we have beat another topic into submission. In the interest of doing the right thing instead of relying on code article mumbo jumbo with twenty different references that even the AHJ can't interpret I have elected to run the GEC direct burial from the building to the pole which will augment the ground rods and provide a decent MBJ, then run the EGC in the feeder conduit. Your mileage may vary. Thanks for all the discussion.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Yes it would but if it is sized for an EGC then wouldn't it be too small as compared to a GEC. 600amp EGC = #1 cu and 400kcmil x 2 = 2/0 cu?

You mention 400kcmil, which is larger than required for 600A. You would need to increase your EGC proportionally, so you would need an EGC which is larger than #1.

Even if the EGC stayed as #1, the parallel EGC (assuming you're running parallel conduits) would be closer to 3/0 in area.

And you DON'T need a GEC to be run between the two GES's, so I don't see how comparing the size of the required EGC to a non-required GEC is relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.