Geek squad tells customer that speaker wire can't be run in walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveBowden

On a job yesterday the customer asked if we could run speaker wire to two patio speakers while we were crawling her attic. We told her we would but we didn't have any with us. She went to the store and bought a roll of monster cable speaker wire.
When she got back, she called another big box store and was told speaker wire could not be installed in walls. I have never heard of this and would appreciate a code reference to support it. Is there one?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The cable needs to be rated/listed for in wall use. Some examples would be cables surfaced marked with CL2 or CL3.

renosteinke

I can't say I've ever heard of 'wall rated' cable either. Plenum, direct burial, wet, hazardous location, sure. Wall rated?

Especially regarding low-voltage stuff ... something for which NEC requirements are nearly nonexistant ... I'd like some more explanation of this concept.

iwire

Staff member
640.9(C) takes us to 725.179

IV. Listing Requirements

725.179 Listing and Marking of Class 2, Class 3, and
Type PLTC Cables.
Class 2, Class 3, and Type PLTC
cables and nonmetallic signaling raceways installed as wiring
methods within buildings shall be listed as being resistant
to the spread of fire and other criteria in accordance
with 725.179(A) through (K) and shall be marked in accordance
with 725.179(L).

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Larry Fine, Where are You!

Larry Fine, Where are You!

On a job yesterday the customer asked if we could run speaker wire to two patio speakers while we were crawling her attic. We told her we would but we didn't have any with us. She went to the store and bought a roll of monster cable speaker wire.
When she got back, she called another big box store and was told speaker wire could not be installed in walls. I have never heard of this and would appreciate a code reference to support it. Is there one?

I'm sure Larry Fine would have something to say about this if he sees it!:)

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Some rolls of "zip cord" are marked CL2 on the spool, but there is no marking on the cable itself (some may say SPT2 since this is cord). Classic speaker cable which uses clear insulation with a silvery conductor and a copper colored conductor usually is not CL2 rated. I think the Monster stuff is CL2 (it ought to be at the price they charge), but you'll most likely need the spool for proof if an inspector asks.

They are many suitable cables with a jacket marked CL2 using 12 to 16 AWG conductors, but you don't usually see them at the Depot or Best Buy.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Especially regarding low-voltage stuff ... something for which NEC requirements are nearly nonexistant ... I'd like some more explanation of this concept.

Hardly...Try Article 725, the mother of all low voltage articles, then 411, 420, 760, 770, 800, and all of chapter 8

Get yourself a copy of Mike Holts Understanding Low Voltage....

Status
Not open for further replies.