Gen bkr size fire pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

d0nut

I see that. Any idea why? Seems if you want to hold locked rotor current indefinitely in other situations you would want to here as well. Why is protecting the generator more important here than the fire pump motor? If either fails you have no fire pump operation period.
In many applications, sizing the generator to indefinitely carry locked rotor of the fire pump would result in a generator so large that it wouldn't function properly in normal operating conditions. Also, sizing the generator to carry locked rotor of the fire pump is not prohibited, it is just not required. If you had a particular application where you could make it work, you are free to design the system that way.

kwired

Electron manager
In many applications, sizing the generator to indefinitely carry locked rotor of the fire pump would result in a generator so large that it wouldn't function properly in normal operating conditions. Also, sizing the generator to carry locked rotor of the fire pump is not prohibited, it is just not required. If you had a particular application where you could make it work, you are free to design the system that way.
JMO but I sort of would think you want the generator breaker to hold indefinitely if motor is in locked rotor condition. That said actual current may not be as high as it would be if connected to a utility supply.

kwired

Electron manager
JMO but I sort of would think you want the generator breaker to hold indefinitely if motor is in locked rotor condition. That said actual current may not be as high as it would be if connected to a utility supply.
Other life safety loads possibly can play a factor here though if they run on same source.

Status
Not open for further replies.