Generac start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gushud

So I installed a 22kw generac generator with a 200amp automatic transfer switch the wires feeding the generator go to e1 and e2 on the transfer switch the neutral is connected to the transfer switch. All wiring has been rung out. When I check incoming power at the generator circuit breaker with the breaker in the off position I'm only getting a 120v from phase to phase should be getting 240. Generac doesn't offer support cause I'm not a dealer. Brand new install just confused on the power coming from the generator. Everything else seems like it works correctly. If I simulate a power failure the generator kicks on in automatic no alarms and e1 and e2 have 120v between them and 60volts to ground the generator gives no alarms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
How old is this generator? Sounds like the field needs to be flashed but these units generally flash themselves on startup.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I know at one time, Generac would lock out the controller until you called them for some authorization code or something so they could log the warranty start date. I can’t remember which piece of crap controller it was. But it looks like they would have told you that when you called. We were a dealer for a while, and their tech support wasn’t any good then either. That was on their bigger generators ( this was a 60 kw)

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
We’ve done installs and start ups on Generac. Never had a problem getting a code.

A Generac Dealer did install a 3PH unit a couple blocks away from me. The village called and asked, so I went up there to answer some questions. They had grounded one of the hots vs the neutral. Ooops. Yes they were embarrassed.

Gushud

The transfer switch is outside 6ft away I phased taped each wire and can physically move it and see it move so the neutral is correctly landed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen wire connectors under the controller where the wire was not pushed all the way into the connector. So I would double check those. I believe the wire numbers are 11 and 44 / 11s and 44s. They come right off the stator. But the generator showed a code. Hope this helps.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

synchro

Occupation
EE
I've seen wire connectors under the controller where the wire was not pushed all the way into the connector. So I would double check those. I believe the wire numbers are 11 and 44 / 11s and 44s. They come right off the stator. But the generator showed a code. Hope this helps.
Good point. It sounds like the generator is not getting enough excitation, and so I'd also check the connectors to the excitation winding (wires 2 and 6), and the rotor brushes (wires 4 and 0).

Status
Not open for further replies.