General can light question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickboy1375

480sparky said:
I have yet to see a framer who gives a tinkers' d**n about where the joists, studs, headers, etc. lay out in relationship to lights, drains, etc. They firmly believe there is no life beyond the A sheets.

I agree, You cannot build a house around recess lights and toilets... it is just NOT going to happen...

c2500

480sparky said:
I have yet to see a framer who gives a tinkers' d**n about where the joists, studs, headers, etc. lay out in relationship to lights, drains, etc. They firmly believe there is no life beyond the A sheets.

Thank goodness there are so many options for installing switch boxes....I have had to do several back to backs due to the wall framing. Its a shame there are those pesky rules about over filling boxes....my life would be alot easier without them :grin:

c2500

rexowner

Occupation
Electrician
I'm pretty surprised that folks have so much antipathy
towards IJoist knockouts. This may be a product/brand issue
I have worked on a bunch of homes with TJI 230's and
the knockouts pop out easily with a couple of taps
of the straight claw on the back of my hammer (walkerj,.
try to that with your Kleins if you are reading this). The
height works out so I don't need a ladder to string Romex.
I haven't had any blowouts at all with the TJIs.
I love the knockouts on the TrusJoist product.

mdshunk

frizbeedog said:
That sounds like a smart idea. Do you have piture of that jig?
Uh, no. but I can get one. Basically an adjustable wooden square that bolts on where the handle of the cordless (which nobody uses anyhow) would go.

mdshunk

stickboy1375 said:
All the houses I wire have 9' + ceilings... How tall are you? :)
Same here.

A plumber today was teasing me for needing a ladder. The guy was probably 6'5", 6'6". I summarily told him that not everyone is a freak of nature. I sorta feel sorry for a tall plumber, with all the low clearance cellars he must have to work in. I'm average height, and I'm walking hunched over a lot in old cellars to keep from knocking my head.

480sparky

mdshunk said:
Same here.

A plumber today was teasing me for needing a ladder. The guy was probably 6'5", 6'6". I summarily told him that not everyone is a freak of nature. I sorta feel sorry for a tall plumber, with all the low clearance cellars he must have to work in.

He shoulda been a painter :smile:

e57

c2500 said:
The biggest thing though is that this is another example of the trades not talking ahead of time.

c2500

Many of the people I have worked with over the years will over-lay the plans in many framing issues and lay it out accordingly - 'proffessionals'! Why? because they have had to deal with the lack of planning in the past and learned from the mistake.... 'holes not lined up' is a lack of courtesy, or or ignorance IMO - Sure you can pop your own easy enough - I use a bunch of practically disposable spade bits - cheal and really easy to sharpen as the glue buns any bit out quick....

stickboy1375 said:
I agree, You cannot build a house around recess lights and toilets... it is just NOT going to happen...

They do my friend they do.... Been on a number of them.

rexowner

Occupation
Electrician
stickboy1375 said:
All the houses I wire have 9' + ceilings... How tall are you? :)

6'4" and I have a long framing hammer.

I actually wire a lot of houses with 8 foot ceilings,
in which case I just pop the knockouts with my hammer
and then thread the romex through from the floor.

Your point on taller ceilings is well taken, and the
9'+ is probably more representative of the industry
norm.

rexowner

Occupation
Electrician
stickboy1375 said:
Holy crap batman... Why not try the NBA? :grin: I'm only 5'10" so I have to carry around a ladder... ;)

You and Marc can make fun of me if it's fun for you.

We don't have basements in CA, so I don't have to go
hunching around the cellars Marc does. I am pretty
good in attics and crawlspaces although I don't like
it any better than anyone else. Being tall mostly
makes things easier to reach during construction,
but alas, I cannot jump.

frizbeedog

mdshunk said:
Uh, no. but I can get one. Basically an adjustable wooden square that bolts on where the handle of the cordless (which nobody uses anyhow) would go.

I use the handle. Dog gone it I paid for it. :grin:

I would love to see it, thanks.

rexowner

Occupation
Electrician
frizbeedog said:
I use the handle. Dog gone it I paid for it. :grin:

I would love to see it, thanks.

I'd love to see a picture of it too. I want to share it with
the plumber I was working with today who was griping
about having to drill all the inline holes through the TJIs for
his pipes (I think he'll still have trouble reaching into
the ceiling, though).

e57

stickboy1375 said:
~I mostly deal with old mixed in with new, so the work is tuff at one end but nice at the other...

Same here.... Old framing - new design sure, start heading off joists and the customer will eat it happily. Start tearing out NEW framing for a design that has been unchanged on the plans since day one - they start getting wary and ichy of why you are asking about moving cans or getting changes from the GC to re-frame.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
i used to have two helpers when i was working for another guy that were 6'-7" and 6'-5", and i'm 6' -2"; we were a pretty odd looking bunch on a job site. i don't think we ever used ladders on a house w/ 8' ceilings, but you don't see a lot of those here anymore. i think every new subdivision has a 9' ceiling requirement in the covenants.

Status
Not open for further replies.