Generator hook-up to house main panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonJon

Is it safe? Recently purchased a home with a 5500w generator system. The generator has a heavy duty, four prong generator plug from generator to a receptacle which is wired to a 30amp breaker in the main panel. The wire has a red and black wired to the double pole, 30amp breaker. The white wire and bare ground are wired to the panel's ground strip. The generator breaker is normally in the 'off' position. The instructions at the main panel are to throw the 200 amp main breaker 'off' when its appropriate to use the generator and turn off certain breakers like the A/C unit, swimming pool motor, basement sub-panel, etc. Then start the generator and turn 'on' the 30amp breaker for the generator in the main panel. Is this a safe hook-up and is the procedure accurate?

jumper

I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

If I have misjudged the situation, if for example this project is related to your work, then send me a Private Message. If you can show me that I am wrong, and that you are a licensed electrician (or at least a licensed apprentice), then I will reopen your post, and offer an apology for the delay and inconvenience.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am reopening this thread just long enough to answer your question. No it is not safe. Not by a long shot. You need a mechanism that will not physically permit anyone from making the mistake of turning on both the main breaker and the generator breaker at the same time. That mistake is very likely to kill a utility worker who is trying to restore power to the neighborhood. A part of the sadness of such a tragedy is that you may never become aware that it was your actions that caused the worker to die.

You may think you are sufficiently aware of how to properly operate the system. But if there is no interlock in place, I would call the setup absolutely dangerous. You need to talk with an electrician, to find out how to install a legal and proper transfer mechanism.

Status
Not open for further replies.